The GLI-F4 has been used in France for law enforcement since 2011. It has caused several cases of mutilation.
On January 26, 2020 the French interior minister, Christophe Castaner, announced the withdrawal of GLI-F4 grenades; their replacement, called GM2L, does not contain TNT, but critics such as the Human Rights League argue that it is not clear that these new grenades are much safer as they function in a similar way. The announcement was also criticized as an empty gesture since at the time of the announcement GLI-F4 grenades were no longer in production and they were already in the process of being phased out.
The GLI-F4 was first authorized alongside the OF-F1 grenade in French law enforcement operation, following Decree 2011-795 on June 30th, 2011. It has completely replaced the OF-F1 grenade, which was first suspended after the death of Rémi Fraisse when used during the October 2014 Sivens Dam demonstrations. The OF-F1 was then forbidden by Decree 2017-1029, on May 10, 2017.
France is the only European country that uses explosive ammo for law enforcement. This grenade has been used in France for policing operations since 2011.
- "Un "gilet jaune", victime d'une grenade, a eu la main arrachée". www.lesinrocks.com. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Breeden, Aurelien (2020-01-27). "France to Stop Using TNT-Loaded Tear Gas Grenades". The New York Times.
- Joubioux, Nathan (2020-01-27). "La grenade controversée GLI-F4 est désormais interdite en France, un coup de com ?". euronews (in French). Retrieved 2020-01-29.
- "Decree No. 2011-795 of 30 June 2011 on firearms that may be used for the maintenance of public order". Legifrance.gouv.fr. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- "Décret n° 2017-1029 du 10 mai 2017 modifiant l'article D. 211-17 du code de la sécurité intérieure - Legifrance". Legifrance.gouv.fr.
- Celine Rastello, "N'est-ce pas inquiétant qu'un gouvernement utilise des armes de guerre contre la population ?", L'Obs, February 14, 2019. Retrieved September 22, 2019.
- Ismaël Halissat, "Grenade GLI-F4 : révélations sur une arme qui mutile", Libération.fr, January 25, 2019. Retrieved September 22, 2019.
- (Daillère & Linglet 2016, p. 48,49) harv error: no target: CITEREFDaillèreLinglet2016 (help)
- "Les gendarmes ont déversé une quantité record de grenades sur la Zad de Notre-Dame-des-Landes". Reporterre.net. Retrieved 4 January 2019.