Göran Hydén (Born 1938) is a noted Africanist and Distinguished Professor of Political Science at the University of Florida. He was educated in his native Sweden at the University of Lund and at Oxford University and the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He has also worked as an academic at various universities in East Africa including the University of Dar es Salaam, University of Nairobi, and Makerere University. He has researched a wide range of political economy issues related to development in general and Africa in particular. Such issues include: democratization; governance; sustainable development; the role of aid agencies. Hyden's approach has generally been critical of an emphasis on a narrowly defined poverty reduction rather than wider societal progress.
Göran C. Hydén
Swedish-American political science researcher Göran Hydén at the Göteborg Book Fair 2010.
|Occupation||Political Science Researcher|
He is the brother of Håkan Hydén, Professor at Lund University.
Hyden is noted for having introduced various concepts and approaches to development, including the "economy of affection".
Hyden is senior member of the editorial board of Governance in Africa journal (GiA).
- Hydén, Göran (2014) Democratisation in Tanzania, Book Review for GiA journal of 'Challenges for the Democratisation Process in Tanzania: Moving towards consolidation 50 years after independence?' by Jonas Ewald. Dar es Salaam: Mkuki na Nyota Publisher, 2013. ISBN 978-9987082506. doi:10.5334/gia.af
- Hydén, Göran Julius Court and Kenneth Mease (2004) Making Sense of Governance: Empirical Evidence from Sixteen Developing Countries. Lynne Rienner Publishers
- Ole Elgstrom and Hydén, Göran (eds.) (2002). Development and Democracy: What Do We Know and How? Routledge.
- Hydén, Göran and Denis Venter (eds.) 2001. Constitution-Making and Democratization in Africa. Africa Institute of South Africa Press.
- Hydén, Göran and Rwekaza Mukandala (eds.) 1999. Agencies in Foreign Aid: Comparing China, Sweden and the United States in Tanzania 1965-1995. Macmillan.
- Hydén, Göran, H.W.O. Okoth Ogendo and Dele Olowu (eds.) 1999. African Perspectives on Governance. Africa World Press.
- Hydén, Göran, Ronald Cohen and Winston Nagan (eds.) 1993. Human Rights and Governance in Africa. University Press of Florida.
- Billie L. Turner II, Hydén, Göran and Robert W. Kates. 1993. Population Growth and Agricultural Change. University Press of Florida.
- Michael Bratton and Hydén, Göran (eds) 1992. Governance and Politics in Africa. Lynne Rienner Publishers.
- Hydén, Göran (1983) No Shortcuts to Progress, University of California Press and Heinemann. ISBN 0435963023
- African Politics in Comparative Perspective, Cambridge University Press 2006
- Hydén, Göran (1980) Beyond Ujamaa in Tanzania: Underdevelopment and an Uncaptured Peasantry, University of California Press and Heinemann. ISBN 0520039971
- Hydén, Göran (1969). Efficiency versus Distribution in East African Cooperatives. East African Literature Bureau.
- "Goran C. Hyden » Department of Political Science » University of Florida", Retrieved on May 26, 2015.
- Initiative on Science and Technology for Sustainability: International Workshop on SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND SUSTAINABILITY: Harnessing Institutional Synergies: GORAN HYDEN (Accessed August 2011)
- University of Florida: Goran Hyden (Accessed August 2011)
- "Goran Hyden (Emeritus) » Center for African Studies » University of Florida", Retrieved on May 26, 2015.
- "Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation: Power – the missing link in development policy analysis", 22 April 2009. Retrieved on May 26, 2015.
- The Nordic Africa Institute: Associates, Retrieved on May 26, 2015.
- "The Nordic Africa Institute: Associates: Goran Hyden's CV", June 2009. Retrieved on May 26, 2015.