Freedom Lite SS-11 Skywatch
The Freedom Lite SS-11 Skywatch (also called the Skywatch SS11) is a Canadian ultralight aircraft that was produced by Freedom Lite of Walton, Ontario and later by Legend Lite of New Hamburg, Ontario, introduced in 1996. When it was available the aircraft was supplied as a complete ready-to-fly-aircraft, or as a kit for amateur construction.
|Number built||15 (2001)|
|Developed from||Spectrum Beaver RX650|
Design and developmentEdit
Developed from the Spectrum Beaver RX650, the SS-11 Skywatch features a strut-braced high-wing, a two-seats-in-tandem enclosed cockpit accessed through upwards opening doors supported by folding struts, fixed tricycle landing gear with wheel pants, a small auxiliary tail wheel and a single engine in pusher configuration.
The aircraft is made from 4130 steel and aluminum tubing, plus fibreglass, with its flying surfaces covered with doped aircraft fabric. The cockpit cage is all 4130 steel, while the tail boom tube is aluminum. Its 33.00 ft (10.1 m) span wing lacks flaps and has a wing area of 155.0 sq ft (14.40 m2). The wing is built with an aluminum structure, with an I-beam spar and stamped ribs. The SS-11 has folding wings and a folding tail as well, to allow ground transport or storage. Folding the wings can be accomplished by one person in a few minutes, with the struts supporting the wing.
The SS-11's acceptable installed engine power range is 50 to 75 hp (37 to 56 kW) and the standard engines used are the 50 hp (37 kW) Rotax 503 and the 64 hp (48 kW) Rotax 582 twin cylinder, two-stroke powerplants.
The SS-11 Skywatch has a typical empty weight of 420 lb (190 kg) and a gross weight of 950 lb (430 kg), giving a useful load of 530 lb (240 kg). With full fuel of 13 U.S. gallons (49 L; 11 imp gal) the payload for the pilot, passenger and baggage is 452 lb (205 kg).
Specifications (SS-11 Skywatch)Edit
Data from AeroCrafter
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Length: 21 ft 6 in (6.55 m)
- Wingspan: 33 ft 0 in (10.06 m)
- Wing area: 155.0 sq ft (14.40 m2)
- Empty weight: 420 lb (191 kg)
- Gross weight: 950 lb (431 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 9 U.S. gallons (34 L; 7.5 imp gal) standard or 13 U.S. gallons (49 L; 11 imp gal) optional
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 503 twin cylinder, air-cooled, two-stroke aircraft engine, 50 hp (37 kW)
- Propellers: 3-bladed composite
- Maximum speed: 90 mph (140 km/h, 78 kn)
- Cruise speed: 80 mph (130 km/h, 70 kn)
- Stall speed: 29 mph (47 km/h, 25 kn)
- Range: 405 mi (652 km, 352 nmi)
- Service ceiling: 13,000 ft (4,000 m)
- Rate of climb: 1,100 ft/min (5.6 m/s)
- Wing loading: 6.1 lb/sq ft (30 kg/m2)
- Purdy, Don: AeroCrafter - Homebuilt Aircraft Sourcebook, Fifth Edition, page 166. BAI Communications, 15 July 1998. ISBN 0-9636409-4-1
- Cliche, Andre: Ultralight Aircraft Shopper's Guide 8th Edition, page B-103. Cybair Limited Publishing, 2001. ISBN 0-9680628-1-4
- Transport Canada (1 November 2013). "Listing of Models Eligible to be Registered as Advanced Ultra-Light Aeroplanes (AULA)". Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- Transport Canada (5 January 2017). "Canadian Civil Aircraft Register". Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Federal Aviation Administration (5 January 2017). "Make / Model Inquiry Results". Retrieved 5 January 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Skywatch SS11.|