Freedom High School (Pennsylvania)
Freedom High School is a large urban, public high school, located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Northampton County in the Lehigh Valley region of Pennsylvania, in the United States. Freedom High School is one of the two public high schools operated by the Bethlehem Area School District. It is located at 3149 Chester Avenue, Bethlehem Township. In 2015, enrollment was reported as 1843 pupils in 9th through 12th grades, with 43.5% of pupils eligible for a free lunch due to the family meeting the federal poverty level. Additionally, 15% of pupils received special education services, while 4.9% of pupils were identified as gifted. The school employed 105 teachers. Per the PA Department of Education, 1% of the teachers were rated "Non‐Highly Qualified" under the federal No Child Left Behind Act. The principal for 2014-2016 was Michael LaPorta.
|Freedom High School|
Freedom High School, 2007
3149 Chester Avenue
|Type||Public high school|
|Established||September 7, 1967|
|School district||Bethlehem Area School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Joseph Roy|
|Principal||Michael J. LaPorta|
|Athletics conference||Eastern Pennsylvania Conference|
|Rival||Liberty High School|
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, in 2013, the school reported an enrollment of 1,845 pupils in grades 9th through 12th, with 737 pupils eligible for a federal free or reduced price lunch due to the family meeting the federal poverty level. In 2013, the School employed 105 teachers yielding a student-teacher ratio of 17:1. According to a report by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, 16 teachers were rated "Non‐Highly Qualified" under No Child Left Behind.
Freedom High School students may choose to attend the Bethlehem Area Vocational-Technical School for training in the construction and mechanical trades.
In 2015, the District’s graduation rate was 83.75%.
- 2014 - 87.8%
- 2013 - 87.6%
- 2012 - 83%.
- 2011 - 88.6%.
- 2010 - 81%, the Pennsylvania Department of Education issued a new, 4-year cohort graduation rate.
- According to traditional graduation rate calculations
2015 School Performance ProfileEdit
Freedom High School SPP score declined to 68.6 out of 100. Reflects on grade level reading, mathematics and science achievement. The PDE reported that just 57% of the Freedom High School's students were on grade level in reading/literature. In Algebra 1, just 32% of students showed on grade level skills at the end of the course. In Biology I, only 46% demonstrated on grade level science understanding at the end of the course. Statewide, 53 percent of schools with an eleventh grade achieved an academic score of 70 or better. Five percent of the 2,033 schools with 11th grade were scored at 90 and above; 20 percent were scored between 80 and 89; 28 percent between 70 and 79; 25 percent between 60 and 69 and 22 percent below 60. The Keystone Exam results showed: 73 percent of students statewide scored at grade-level in English, 64 percent in Algebra I and 59 percent in biology.
|Wikinews has related news: Girls sweep Siemens science competition for US high schools|
Freedom competes in the East Penn Conference in the District XI athletic division of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association. It holds the record for the most Lehigh Valley Conference championships in boys volleyball.
In boys athletics, Freedom has football, basketball, golf, ice hockey, soccer, baseball, tennis, volleyball, lacrosse, swimming, wrestling and Diving teams. In girls athletics, Freedom has basketball, soccer, lacrosse, golf, cheerleading, tennis, volleyball teams, swimming, and diving teams.
The FHS football, soccer, and field hockey teams play their home games at Frank Banko Field at Bethlehem Area School District Stadium, which seats 13,600 and can accommodate up to 15,000 in the standing room section.
- "Freedom HS". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (November 4, 2015). "Freedom High School Fast Facts 2015".
- US News and World Report, Best High Schools, 2016
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2015). "Highly Qualified Teacher Guidelines". Archived from the original on 2016-06-24.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, ED Names and Addresses 2016, 2016
- National Center for Education Statistics, Common Core Data - Freedom High School, 2014
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Professional Qualifications of Teachers Freedom High School 2012, September 21, 2012
- PDE, Graduation rate by LEA, 2015
- PDE, Graduation rate by LEA, 2014
- PDE, Graduation rate by LEA, 2013
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (September 21, 2012). "Freedom HIgh School AYP Data Table 2012".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Freedom HIgh School AYP Data Table 2011, September 29, 2011
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (March 15, 2011). "New 4-year Cohort Graduation Rate Calculation Now Being Implemented".
- The Times-Tribune (June 27, 2010). "PA School District Statistical Snapshot Database 2008-09".
- The Times-Tribune (June 25, 2009). "County School Districts Graduation Rates 2008".
- Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children (2008). "High School Graduation rate 2007" (PDF).
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (November 4, 2015). "Freedom High School School Performance Profile 2015".
- MARK GILGER JR (July 6, 2016). "Grading Our Schools: Some districts struggle with standardized tests". The Republican Herald.
- Jan Murphy (November 4, 2015). "Report card for state's high schools show overall decline". Pennlive.com.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (November 4, 2015). "2015 Keystone Exam School Level Data".
- Catherine Arnst (2007-12-03). "Girls Dominate the Siemens Competition". Business Week. Retrieved 2007-12-06.
- Amanda Millner-Fairbanks (2007-12-04). "Girls Make History by Sweeping Top Honors at a Science Contest". The New York Times. Retrieved 2007-12-06.
- LVIAC Historical Stats. Archived September 8, 2008, at the Wayback Machine