Frank Mottek is an American broadcast journalist anchoring the business news on CBS stations KNX (AM) 1070 Newsradio and KCAL-TV Channel 9 in Los Angeles. His broadcasts provide business, consumer and financial news to millions in the Greater Los Angeles area. Frank also serves as moderator and master of ceremonies at business events and conferences.
Early life and educationEdit
Radio and televisionEdit
- 1981–92 – Frank anchored and reported at WINZ, the CBS affiliate in Miami. During this time, he provided the live launch descriptions of more than 20 space shuttle launches on the CBS Radio Network. Frank was on the air with CBS News Correspondent Christopher Glenn and was an eyewitness to the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on January 28, 1986
- 1989–91 – Business news anchor/correspondent on "The Nightly Business Report" on PBS. Served as fill-in anchor for Paul Kangas on the Stock Market Report and Commentary segments
- 1991–92 – Anchor and reporter at WTVJ-TV/Miami.
- 1992–99 – News reporter on KCBS-TV, CBS 2 in Los Angeles.
- 1999–2008 – Reported and anchored the business news on Los Angeles television station KTLA on the Morning News and News @ 10.
- 1999–2008 – Created and taught the Journalism 407 Newsradio course at the University of Southern California at the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.
- 1992–present – News anchor/reporter at KNX (AM) Los Angeles KNX1070 Newsradio. He anchors the money news on the all-news CBS Radio station in Los Angeles. He also anchors the KNX Business Hour which airs at 1 pm (Los Angeles time zone) after the closing bell on Wall Street.
- 2013–2014– Business news anchor at KCAL Channel 9 Los Angeles. His reports appeared on the KCAL9 TV News at 8 pm, 9pm and 10 pm.
- Frank was on the air daily providing business updates during the 2008 financial crisis and he was on the air during the May 6, 2010 stock market "flash crash" on KNX/Los Angeles
- Frank was on the air reporting before, during and after Hurricane Andrew hit South Florida in August 1992 on WINZ/Miami and WTVJ-TV/Miami.
- Frank was on the air with CBS News Correspondent Christopher Glenn and was an eyewitness to the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on January 28, 1986.
- 2006–present: Moderator of Economic Forecast events for the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation (LAEDC)
- 1993–present: Master of Ceremonies of the Concern Foundation for Cancer Research Annual Block Party Fundraiser at Paramount Studios
- 2011–present: Master of Ceremonies at the Association for Corporate Growth-L.A. Chapter Annual Awards Dinner at Disney Hall
- 2011–present-Master of Ceremonies of the Los Angeles Venture Association (LAVA) annual awards dinner
- 2010–present- Moderator of Annual Economic Summit for the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG)
- 2003–present-Master of Ceremonies of the Most Inspiring Student Awards Dinner for the Long Beach Education Foundation
- 2014-Keynote interviewer of Eli Broad at the Downtown L.A. Investors Conference January 9 at the J.W. Marriott Hotel
- 2013-Keynote speaker at Valley Economic Development Center (VEDC) Small Business Conference.
- 2013-Moderator of City National Bank Insight One20 Conference, L.A. Convention Center
- 2012, 2013– Moderator of real estate CEO discussions at the Crocker Symposium in Downtown L.A.
- 2012-Moderator of "Still Made in the USA?" panel at the Milken Institute Global Conference, May 2, 2012
- 2006– Keynote speaker at Southern California Investor Conference August 11 at the Hyatt Regency in Irvine, California.
Awards and honorsEdit
- 2013 Best "News Special" Golden Mike Award from the Radio and Television News Association of Southern California for Healthcare Uncovered on KNX
- 2013 Outstanding News Professional PRism Award from the Public Relations Society of America-L.A. Chapter
- 2013 "Spirit of Concern Award" from the Concern Foundation for Cancer Research
- 2013 California State Assembly Certificate of Recognition from Assemblymember Richard Bloom for receiving "Spirit of Concern Award"
- 2011 Golden Mike Award from the Radio and Television News Association of Southern California for Best Business and Consumer Reporting.
- 2011 President of the L.A. Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ-LA)
- 2010 Vice-President of L.A. Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ-LA)
- 2008 Frank was part of the Emmy Award-winning KTLA Morning News team
- 2007 Long Beach Unified School District Superintendent's Distinguished Community Service Award.
- 2007 Certificate of Recognition from the California State Legislature in "honor and recognition of receiving the Long Beach Unified School District Superintendent's Distinguished Community Service Award
- 2003 Award from the Long Beach Education Foundation for "Exemplary support of the children and schools of the Long Beach Unified School District"
- 1998 Golden Mike Award from the Radio and Television News Association of Southern California for Best Live TV Coverage of a News Story for "Wrath of El Nino" on KCBS-TV
- 1998 The Greater Los Angeles Press Club 1st Place Spot News Radio for coverage of North Valley Jewish Center shooting on KNX/Los Angeles
- 1996 Golden Mike Award from the Radio and Television News Association of Southern California for Best Radio Spot News Story "Standoff in Silverlake" on KNX/Los Angeles
- 1996 The Greater Los Angeles Press Club 1st Place Spot News Radio for "Standoff in Silverlake"
- Frank was part of the Peabody Award-winning coverage of Hurricane Andrew on WTVJ-TV/Miami in 1992
- 1992 RTNDA Award for Documentary "Cuba: Island in a Sea of Change" on WINZ/Miami
- 1989 UPI National Investigative/Documentary Award for five-part series on kids selling crack cocaine, "Crack and Kids," on WINZ/Miami
- President of the Florida AP Broadcasters 1986–1989
|10 Cloverfield Lane||2016||Radio Broadcaster||Uncredited|
- "First Post Evening News". http://www.firstpost.com/. External link in
- "Frank Mottek Anchors Nightly Business Report – PBS". YouTube. Frank Mottek.
- "CBS Los Angeles Web site". CBS Los Angeles Web Site.
- "Frank Mottek".
- "2013 Golden Mike Award – KNX 'Healthcare Uncovered'". Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- "Outstanding News Professional 2013 – Public Relations Society of America".
- "2011 Golden Mike Award – Frank Mottek on KNX 'Money 101'". Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- "Award-Winning Broadcast Journalist Frank Mottek to Host SMPTE 2014 Honors & Awards Ceremony".