Frank Gilliam (politician)
Frank M. Gilliam, Jr. (born May 7, 1970) is an American politician who has served as the Mayor of Atlantic City since 2018. He defeated Republican incumbent Don Guardian in the 2017 election and became Atlantic City's third African American mayor.
|40th Mayor of Atlantic City|
|Assumed office |
January 1, 2018
|Preceded by||Don Guardian|
|Born||May 7, 1970|
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Gilliam was born and raised in Atlantic City, and attended Stockton University where he obtained a BA in Criminal Justice. He continued his education at the University of San Francisco obtaining a Masters in Social Work. He was elected Councilman-At-Large for the City of Atlantic City in 2008. While a member of City Council he sponsored, and succeeded in having adopted an ordinance that imposes a fine for helium balloons released outdoors in Atlantic City due to the hazard they pose to marine life. In response PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, recognized Atlantic City with their Compassionate City Award.
On November 10, 2018, Mayor Gilliam and Atlantic City Councilman Jeffree Fauntleroy II were involved in a physical altercation outside the Golden Nugget’s Haven Nightclub. Surveillance video captured the mayor exchanging punches with a man, while the councilman wrestled another person to the ground. Democrats want the Atlantic City mayor and councilman out of office without pay. On November 28, 2018, Cape May County Prosecutor Jeffrey H. Sutherland announced that he would not be filing charges in the incident.
In 1997, an Atlantic City woman sought a restraining order against Frank Gilliam when the two were dating in college. The document stated the court found “good cause to believe that (Williams’) life, health, and well-being have been and are endangered by (Gilliam’s) acts of violence.”
On Wednesday, December 29, 2010, then Councilman-at-Large Frank Gilliam allegedly assaulted a man for walking too close to his car. 
- "Frank Gilliam wins Atlantic City mayor's office". pressofatlanticcity.com. 2017-11-08. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Frank Gilliam sworn in as new mayor of Atlantic City". pressofatlanticcity.com. 2018-01-02. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "PETA honors Atlantic City for balloon-release ban with award, chocolates". The Press of Atlantic City. 2017-03-01. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- "Democrats want Atlantic City mayor, councilman out of office without pay". nj.com. 2018-11-27. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- "No charges will be filed against mayor, councilman accused in casino fight". nj.com. 2018-11-28. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- "Former girlfriend says she sought protection from Atlantic City mayoral candidate 20 years ago". pressofatlanticcity.com. 2017-06-02. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "A.C. Councilman Gilliam allegedly assaults man in street confrontation". pressofatlanticcity.com. 2010-12-30. Retrieved 2010-12-30.