FrancEyE aka Frances Dean Smith (March 19, 1922 – June 2, 2009), was an American poet.
|Born||Frances Dean Smith|
March 19, 1922
San Rafael, California, U.S.
|Died||June 2, 2009 (aged 87)|
Greenbrae, California, U.S.
|Spouse||Wray Smith (? - 1960) (divorced)|
She married Wray Smith while living on the East Coast. They had four daughters but eventually divorced and Frances returned to California in 1963, having completely abandoned her children.
She was closely associated with the Southern California poetry community. She is also noted for her relationship with poet Charles Bukowski, with whom she had her fifth daughter and his only child, Marina Louise Bukowski. Charles Bukowski wrote a poem about Frances which has been used as a eulogy, "One for Old Snaggle-Tooth" (1977).
Throughout her long career as a writer she never sought to capitalize on her connection to Bukowski and was revered as “The Bearded Witch of Santa Monica.” She died from complications of a hip fracture in Marin General Hospital in Greenbrae, California, early on June 2, 2009.
- Four Poets, (Ruth Wire, Grace Bogart, Joanne Stell, S.S.Veri), written under the pseudonym S.S. Veri
- Snaggletooth in Ocean Park, poems, 1996 (The Sacred Beverage Press)
- Amber Spider, poems, 2004 (Pearl Press)
- Grandma Stories, short stories (with drawings by Tim Donnelly), 2008
- Call, poems, 2009 (Rose of Sharon Press)
- "FrancEyE dies at 87; prolific Santa Monica poet" Los Angeles Times Retrieved on June 3, 2009
- Charles Bukowski (1977) Love Is A Dog From Hell, Black Sparrow Press
- Graffiti Verité 6: The Odyssey (Video 2006) - IMDb