Fouad Twal (Arabic: البطريرك فؤاد طوال; born 23 October 1940 in Madaba, Jordan) is the emeritus Archbishop and Patriarch of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, having been its ordinary from 2008 to 2016. He has also served as the Grand Prior of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem and President for the Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land.
|Archbishop, Patriarch emeritus of Jerusalem of the Latins|
|Appointed||8 September 2005 (Coadjutor)|
|Installed||22 June 2008|
|Term ended||24 June 2016|
|Ordination||29 June 1966|
|Consecration||22 July 1992|
by Michel Sabbah
|Born||23 October 1940|
|Motto||Paratum cor meum|
My heart is ready
|Coat of arms|
Patriarch Fouad Twal
|Reference style||His Beatitude|
|Spoken style||Your Beatitude|
Fouad Twal was ordained to the priesthood on 29 June 1966. After his ordination he was the vicar of Ramallah. In 1972 he entered the Pontifical Lateran University where he studied for a doctorate in canon law, which he was awarded in 1975. He was appointed the prelate of the territorial prelature of Tunis by Pope John Paul II on 30 May 1992. He was consecrated to the episcopate on 22 July later that year by principal consecrator Patriarch Michel Sabbah. On 31 May 1995, Pope John Paul II gave the Tunis territorial prelature diocesan status, creating the Diocese of Tunis, and appointed as Twal was made an archbishop ad personam. In 2005, Pope Benedict XVI named him the coadjutor archbishop-patriarch of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem; he succeeded Michel Sabbah as the Patriarch on 21 June 2008 and was enthroned Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulchre the next day. A week later, he received the pallium from the hands of Pope Benedict XVI at a Mass in Rome's Basilica of Saint Peter.
In 2008, he explained his understanding of the situation of Israel and the Palestinian Territories and their people: "We receive a lot of help and we are grateful but at the same time we say we need more. What we need is peace. We don’t only want to be a begging Church, we don't want to be beggars with a licence. I don't like this. We need a political horizon, it's time to put an end to the Wall, the Checkpoints, it's time for a Palestinian State, it's time for an end to our problems with visas."
- Grand Prior of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem
- President ex officio of the Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land
- President ex officio of the Conference of Latin Bishops of the Arab Regions
- member, Council of Catholic Patriarchs of the East
- member of the following dicastery of the Roman Curia
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fouad Twal.|
- Cheney, David M. "Patriarch Fouad Twal". Bishops. catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Government of the Order". The Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem in Ireland. Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre, Lieutenancy of Ireland. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Cheney, David M. "Archdiocese of Tunis". All Dioceses. catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Pope Names Arch. Fouad Twal Patriarch of Jerusalem". Vatican Radio. 21 June 2008. Archived from the original on 15 April 2013. Retrieved 13 September 2008.
- [dead link]
- "Rinuncia del Patriarca di Gerusalemme dei Latini e nomina dell'Amministratore Apostolico sede vacante" (in Italian). Vatican Press Office. 24 June 2016. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "His Beatitude Patriarch Fouad Twal". The Catholic Church of the Holy Land. Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
|Catholic Church titles|
| Prelate of Tunis
as Bishop of Tunis
as Prelate of Tunis
| Bishop of Tunis
Maroun Elias Nimeh Lahham
| Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem
Title next held byPierbattista Pizzaballa