Formula Rossa (Arabic: فورمولا روسا) is a launched roller coaster located at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Manufactured by Intamin, Formula Rossa is the world's fastest roller coaster with a top speed of 240 km/h (150 mph).
|Ferrari World Abu Dhabi|
|Opening date||4 November 2010|
|Type||Steel – Launched|
|Lift/launch system||Hydraulic Launch Track|
|Height||52 m (171 ft)|
|Length||2,000 m (6,600 ft)|
|Speed||239 km/h (149 mph)|
|Acceleration||0 to 239 km/h (0 to 149 mph) in 4 seconds|
|Height restriction||140–195 cm (4 ft 7 in–6 ft 5 in)|
|Trains||4 trains with 4 cars. Riders are arranged 2 across in 2 rows for a total of 16 riders per train.|
|Formula Rossa at RCDB|
Pictures of Formula Rossa at RCDB
In its planning stage it was called F1 Coaster. On 4 November 2010, the roller coaster officially opened to the public.
The coaster train accelerates to its top speed in 5 seconds using a hydraulic launch system which generates a release velocity similar to that of steam catapults on an aircraft carrier. Riders experience up to 1.7 g of force during acceleration and up to 4.8 g throughout the ride. The roller coaster track is 2.2 km (1.4 mi) in length, ranking it sixth in the world for steel roller coasters. Its shape was inspired by the legendary Italian racetrack Autodromo Nazionale Monza. Due to the high air speeds and thus risk of an impact with airborne particulates or insects, all riders are required to wear protective glasses similar to those used during skydiving. Formula Rossa surpassed Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure as the world's fastest roller coaster with Kingda Ka retaining the record of the tallest roller coaster in the world.
Ferrari Formula One drivers Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso rode Formula Rossa on 11 November 2010, three days before the 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. In 2014, Alonso and new teammate Kimi Räikkönen rode the coaster, while Räikkönen and Sebastian Vettel rode in 2015.
- Sponseller, Dwain (April 2, 2014). "Formula Rossa". COASTER-net.com. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Formula Rossa - World's Fastest roller coaster". Ferrari World Abu Dhabi. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- Marden, Duane. "Record Holders - Speed". Roller Coaster Database. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- Ferrari (6 May 2010). "Formula Rossa". Ferrari. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- BBC (27 October 2010). "World's fastest rollercoaster: Could you stomach it?". BBC. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Marden, Duane. "Formula Rossa (Ferrari World Abu Dhabi)". Roller Coaster Database. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- "Formula Rossa > news > Home > Amusement". Intamin Worldwide. Archived from the original on 29 July 2012. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- Borel, Brooke (2011-03-31). "How It Works: The World's Fastest Rollercoaster". popsci.com. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- Ferrari World. "Formula Rossa - Making of". Video. Ferrari. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- Ferrari World. "The making of Formula Rossa". Ferrari World. Archived from the original on 29 July 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- Marden, Duane. "Record Holders (Tallest Roller Coasters)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- Bezants, Jack (24 November 2014). "Kimi Raikkonen left unimpressed after taking on the planet's fastest rollercoaster at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi". Daily Mail. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Smith, Luke (27 November 2015). "Vettel, Raikkonen take on world's fastest rollercoaster in Abu Dhabi (VIDEO)". NBC Sports. Retrieved 30 November 2015.