Forgacs Marine and Defence
Forgacs Marine and Defence (Forgacs), former Forgacs Group, is a major Australian engineering and shipbuilding company. It has facilities at Newcastle, Sydney, Brisbane and Gladstone. The company employs 1000 people.
|Products||Ship building, ship repair, heavy engineering|
Number of employees
The Forgacs Group acquired Ullman Engineering in 1962 and in 1987, it acquired the Newcastle Floating Dock.
Shipbuilder Carrington Slipways was acquired in 1997, and the Cairncross Dockyard facilities in Brisbane in 1999. Cairncross is used for commercial ship repair and includes one of the largest graving docks in Australasia. The dockyard can accommodate ships up to the Panamax sized class.
Forgacs conducts refit and maintenance work for the Royal Australian Navy, including the repair and extensive conversion of the Kanimbla-class LPAs following their purchase from the United States Navy. They had constructed hull blocks for the Anzac-class frigates and in 2009 they were contracted to build 30 hull blocks for the Hobart-class destroyers being constructed in Adelaide for the Royal Australian Navy.
The company's facilities at Cairncross Dockyard closed in 2014.
On 17 November 2015, Australian Group Civmec announced that it would acquire Forgacs. Civmec completed the acquisition of the Forgacs Group on 2 February 2016 and renamed it to Forgacs Marine and Defence.
- "Company Profile". Forgacs Group. Archived from the original on 24 October 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "Raytheon, Forgacs push Cairncross yard". Australian Defense Magazine. Yaffa Publishing Group. 10 January 2008. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "AWD Alliance selects preferred suppliers for $450m shipbuilding work". AWD Alliance. 9 May 2009. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Deutrom, Rhian (2 July 2014). "Jobs to go as historic Brisbane shipyard faces closure next month". The Courier Mail. Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "Civmec targets acquisition of defence business on east coast of Australia" (Press release). Civmec. 17 November 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "Civmec's acquisition of Forgacs solidifies way for East Coast expansion" (Press release). Civmec. 2 February 2016. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
|This article about an Australian corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|