Force (A Certain Ratio album)
|Studio album by|
|Studio||Yello 2 Studios, Manchester, England|
|A Certain Ratio chronology|
Force received a mostly positive response from critics. The Quietus wrote: "To the band's surprise, Force immediately struck a nerve, not just within the confines of Manchester either, pushing the band close to the success they always deserved. [...] Force remains their purest moment". Trouser Press, on the other hand, wrote that the album "[abandons] the raw, stark and chilling sound of the band's seminal work. Professionally executed but completely boring and devoid of spontaneity, there's little here that Chuck Mangione fans might not enjoy."
AllMusic critic Ned Raggett described the album as "a record of its time as a result -- the sometimes airless, compressed production often fights against more inspired individual elements song for song, like Quigley's layered brass break on "Bootsy," one of the album's highlights and clearly a bit of a nod to the legendary P-Funk bassist." Raggett also further added that "Donald Johnson's drumming and Martin Moscrop's multi-instrumental work remain hyperactive and sometimes subtly surprising, and at the album's best."
- "Only Together" – 3:40
- "Bootsy" – 4:38
- "Fever 103°" – 5:13
- "Naked and White" – 4:57
- "Mickey Way" – 4:50
- "And Then She Smiles" – 3:59
- "Take Me Down" – 5:00
- "Anthem" – 4:53
- A Certain Ratio
- Anthony Quigley - soprano and tenor saxophones
- Martin Moscrop - guitar, guitar synthesizer, trumpet
- Andrew Connell - piano, vocoder, synthesizer, keyboard samples
- Jeremy Kerr - bass, lead vocals, tapes
- Donald Johnson - drums, backing vocals
- Additional personnel
- Tom Barnish - trombone on "Bootsy" and "Mickey Way"
- Corinne Drewery - additional vocals on "Bootsy"
- Paul Harrison - DX7 bass programming
- Lazell, Barry (1997) Indie Hits 1980–1989, Cherry Red Books, ISBN 0-9517206-9-4, p. 1
- Raggett, Ned. "Force – A Certain Ratio | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved May 12, 2016.
- Middles, Mick (April 1, 2010). "The Quietus | Reviews | A Certain Ratio". The Quietus. Retrieved May 12, 2016.
- Shirley, Ian. "Force – Record Collector Magazine". Record Collector. Retrieved May 12, 2016.
- Flashner, Graham; Sheridan, David. "TrouserPress.com :: A Certain Ratio". TrouserPress.com. Retrieved May 12, 2016.