Florești (Hungarian: Szászfenes; German: Deutsch Branndorf) is a commune in Cluj County, Transylvania, Romania. It is composed of three villages: Florești, Luna de Sus (Magyarlóna) and Tăuți (Kolozstótfalu) and is part of the Cluj-Napoca metropolitan area, being located less than 8 km west of Cluj-Napoca on DN1.
Location in Cluj County
|Subdivisions||Florești, Luna de Sus, Tăuți|
|• Mayor (2020–2024)||Bogdan-Nicolae Pivariu (PNL)|
|Area||61 km2 (24 sq mi)|
|• Density||370/km2 (970/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET/EEST (UTC+2/+3)|
|Area code||+40 x64|
Benefiting from its proximity to Cluj-Napoca, the commune has seen a substantial development since the early 2000s, including a threefold increase in population, mainly due to several new residential developments. It was the most populous commune in Romania recorded at the 2011 census.
According to the 2011 census, the commune has 22,813 inhabitants, meaning that a 300% increase was recorded since the previous census of 2002 when 7,470 inhabitants were recorded. In terms of ethnic structure, the commune's population is composed of 75.2% Romanians, 14.4% Hungarians and 4.9% Roma.
- "Results of the 2020 local elections". Central Electoral Bureau. Retrieved 11 June 2021.
- "Populaţia stabilă pe judeţe, municipii, oraşe şi localităti componenete la RPL_2011" (in Romanian). National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Floreştiul, comuna cu cea mai mare populaţie din România". CityNews. 2012-11-02. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Tab8. Populaţia stabilă după etnie – judeţe, municipii, oraşe, comune, 2011 census results, Institutul Național de Statistică, accessed 17 February 2020.
- Varga E. Árpád: Erdély etnikai és felekezeti statisztikája (1850-1992) Retrieved 2007-05-10
- Transindex Recensamânt 2002 website Archived 2012-02-09 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2007-05-10