Fernanda Maria Young de Carvalho Machado (née Leite Young; 1 May 1970 – 25 August 2019), commonly known as Fernanda Young, was a Brazilian writer, screenwriter, television presenter, model and actress.
Fernanda Young in 2009
Fernanda Maria Young de Carvalho Machado
1 May 1970
|Died||25 August 2019 (aged 49)|
|Resting place||Congonhas Cemitery|
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
(m. 1993; her death 2019)
|Children||Cecília Madonna (b. 2000)|
Estela May (b. 2000)
Catarina Lakshimi (b. 2008)
John Gopala (b. 2009)
Young's literary background was partly formed while crossing the Guanabara Bay by ferry or by bus. She interrupted her studies after graduating from elementary school, and then graduated from high school through a six-month substitute. She attended the Faculty of Arts of the Fluminense Federal University, without graduating. She would still study journalism at Faculdades Integradas Hélio Alonso and, after moving to São Paulo and beginning her writing career, he would become a Radio and Television student at Fundação Armando Alvares Penteado (FAAP), but would not finish any of the courses. Young later stated that she'd sworn never to step on a university campus after the experiments, but later attended Fine Arts at FAAP.
In 2013, she wrote and acted as one of the protagonists of the series Surtadas na Yoga ("Yoga Freaks"), with thirteen episodes in the first season. The series tells the story of three women, Jessica (Young), Ana Maria (Flávia Garrafa) and Marion (Anna Sophia Folch) who do yoga to "deal with the madness of the world, and their own madness". Due to its success and 115% growth in the GNT audience, in April 2014 a second season was launched with thirteen more episodes. In October 2014, after three seasons, the series was canceled.
In May 2015, she released her eleventh book and the second poetry book of her career, entitled A Mão Esquerda de Vênus ("The Left Hand of Venus"), by Editora Globo. The launch took place at the Vermelho Gallery in São Paulo.
At the time of her death, Young was scheduled to debut a new play, Ainda Nada de Novo ("Still Nothing New"), on 12 September at the Cultural Center of São Paulo. The play, about two homosexual actresses, would have starred Young and Fernanda Nobre.
Personal life and deathEdit
Young was married to screenwriter and writer Alexandre Machado since 1993 and had four children: twins Cecilia Maddona and Estela May (born 2000); and two adopted children, Catarina Lakshimi (born 2008), and John Gopala (born 2009).
Young died on 25 August 2019, at the age of 49, due to an intense and sudden asthmatic crisis. Young, who had asthma since childhood and always received treatment, was staying at her family's place in Gonçalves, Minas Gerais, where she went to visit them. After the crisis started, she passed out in her bedroom. An ambulance was called, and she was taken to the nearest hospital, located in the city of Paraisópolis. She died of respiratory and cardiac arrest just over an hour after being admitted into ICU. Young was buried in Congonhas Cemetery, in the southern zone of São Paulo, the city where she had lived for fifteen years.
- "Marília Gabriela entrevista Fernanda Young" [Marília Gabriela interviews Fernanda Young]. GNT (in Portuguese). 27 March 2011. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Aos 45, Fernanda Young passa em oitavo lugar em seu quarto vestibular" [At 45, Fernanda Young passes in eighth place in her fourth entrance exam]. Folha de S.Paulo (in Portuguese). 7 July 2015. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Fernanda Young estreia nova série no GNT, 'Surtadas na Yoga'" [Fernanda Young debuts new series on GNT, 'Yoga Freaks']. GNT (in Portuguese). 5 April 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Ficção nacional eleva audiência do GNT no horário nobre" [National fiction raises GNT audience in prime time]. Tela Viva (in Portuguese). 13 June 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- Kogut, Patrícia (11 October 2014). "GNT cancela 'Surtadas na Yoga'" [GNT cancels 'Yoga freaks']. O Globo (in Portuguese). Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Após três temporadas, 'Surtadas na Yoga' não será renovada" [After three seasons, 'Yoga freaks' won't be renewed]. F5 – Folha de S.Paulo (in Portuguese). 11 October 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Fernanda Young confirma que posará para a Playboy" [Fernanda Young confirms that she will pose for Playboy]. Terra (in Portuguese). 12 September 2009. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Conheça "A Mão Esquerda de Vênus", novo livro de Fernanda Young" [Meet "The Left Hand of Venus", new book by Fernanda Young]. Folha de S.Paulo (in Portuguese). 28 April 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "TV Mulher chega ao Viva de cara nova" [TV Mulher comes to Viva with a new face]. Meio e Mensagem (in Portuguese). 28 May 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Fernanda Young e Fernanda Nobre duelam na peça "Ainda Nada de Novo"" [Fernanda Young and Fernanda Nobre duel in the play “Still Nothing New”]. Veja (in Portuguese). 23 August 2019. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Velório da atriz Fernanda Young é marcado pela emoção" [The wake of actress Fernanda Young is marked by emotion]. OFuxico (in Portuguese). 25 August 2019. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Atriz, escritora e roteirista Fernanda Young morre aos 49 anos" [Actress, writer and screenwriter Fernanda Young dies at 49]. Novo Dia (in Portuguese). 26 August 2019. Retrieved 27 August 2019.