Feel Like Makin' Love (Roberta Flack song)
"Feel Like Makin' Love" is a song composed by singer-songwriter Eugene McDaniels, and recorded originally by soul singer-songwriter Roberta Flack. The song has been covered by several R&B and jazz artists.
|"Feel Like Makin' Love"|
|Single by Roberta Flack|
|from the album Feel Like Makin' Love|
|B-side||"When You Smile"|
|Released||June 10, 1974|
|Roberta Flack singles chronology|
Released nine months before the album of the same title, the song became one of the greatest musical successes of 1974, as well as of Roberta Flack's recording career. It scored a week at number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, making it Flack's third #1 single, making her the first female vocalist since 1940 to top the chart in three consecutive years. "Feel Like Makin' Love" also had five weeks at #1 on the Hot Soul Singles chart. and two weeks at #1 on the Adult Contemporary charts of both Canada and the U.S. Flack produced the record under the pseudonym Rubina Flake. It went on to receive three Grammy nominations for Flack: Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.
|"Feel Like Makin' Love"|
|Single by D'Angelo|
|from the album Voodoo|
|Released||April 8, 2000|
|Studio||Electric Lady, New York City|
|Genre||Funk, R&B, neo soul|
|Producer(s)||J. Dilla, D'Angelo|
|D'Angelo singles chronology|
"Feel Like Makin' Love" was covered by American R&B and neo soul musician D'Angelo for his second studio album Voodoo (2000). It was released April 8, 2000, on Virgin Records as the album's fifth and last single. His cover version features a quiet storm radio-style sound and heavy use of multi-tracking for vocals. It was initially planned as a duet with R&B singer Lauryn Hill. Although tapes were sent via FedEx between the two, the collaboration between D'Angelo and Hill was aborted and the song was instead recorded solo. According to producer and drummer Questlove, the duet failed to materialize due to "too many middle men.... I don't think Lauryn and D ever talked face-to-face." Mistakenly, some critics who later reviewed the album's track assumed that Lauryn Hill's vocals are present in the recording.
According to Questlove's review of Voodoo at Okayplayer, the song's production was also managed by late hip hop producer J Dilla, as Questlove stated "jay dee did the lauryn track". Dilla, however, did not receive an official credit for the song. As a single, "Feel Like Makin' Love" was Voodoo's least successful, as it only reached #109 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks chart.
|US Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles||9|
The song has been covered by many artists. Among the most notable are:
- An instrumental version by Bob James for his 1974 album One, reaching #88 on the Hot 100.
- An Estonian-language version by Velly Joonas, "Käes on aeg", was recorded in 1980, but did not gain mass popularity until it was re-released in 2015.
- Musician Rick Braun recorded it in 1999.
- A vocal version by George Benson for his 1983 album In Your Eyes, reaching #28 in the United Kingdom and #18 in Ireland.
- Lumidee covered it in her 2007 album, Unexpected, and released it as a single, peaking at #90 on the Hot 100.
- A reggae version by The Dynamics on their 2007 album Version Excursions.
- Saxophonist Sam Levine, recorded it in 2009.
- Sioux Falla Argus Leader 8 September 1974 "Music Beat" by Mike Donnelly p.C-13
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 206.
- RPM, August 24, 1974
- Steffen Hung. "Forum - Top 100 End of Year AMR Charts - 1980s (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2016-03-13. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "ROBERTA FLACK". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- "Adult Contemporary Music Chart". Billboard. 1974-08-17. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- Cash Box Top 100 Singles, August 17, 1974[permanent dead link]
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1975/Top 100 Songs of 1975". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- Top 50 Adult Contemporary Hits of 1974
- "Cash Box Year-End Charts: Top 100 Pop Singles, December 28, 1974". Archived from the original on October 9, 2016. Retrieved September 9, 2017.
- Neal, Mark Anthony. Review: Voodoo. PopMatters. Retrieved on 2008-08-09.
- Sinclair, Tom. Body & Soul: Voodoo. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on 2009-06-04.
- Thompson, Ahmir 'Questlove'. "Review: Voodoo[dead link]". ?uestcorner/Okayplayer: 1999. Archived from the original Archived 2010-11-24 at WebCite on 2008-08-09.
- D'Angelo (2000), pp. 5–24.
- Billboard Music Charts - Feel Like Makin' Love. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved on 2008-08-09.
- "Bob James - One". Allmusic. Retrieved March 29, 2018.
- "In Your Eyes overview". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- Jaclyn Ward. "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Archived from the original on 2009-06-03. Retrieved 2017-07-12.