In 1999, Éditions Pauvert became part of Fayard. Claude Durand was director of Fayard from 1980 until his retirement in 2009. He was replaced by Olivier Nora, previously head of Éditions Grasset & Fasquelle another division of the Hachette group. On 6 November 2013, Nora was replaced by Sophie de Closets, who officially took over at the beginning of 2014.
In December 2009, Hachette Littérature (publisher of the Pluriel pocket collection) was absorbed by Fayard. Isabelle Seguin, the director of Hachette Littérature, became literary director of Fayard.
Fayard has three imprints:
- Editions Mille et Une Nuits
- Editions Mazarine
Works published by Editions Fayard include:
- La Bibliothèque universelle de poche (1894)
- Modern-Bibliothèque (1904)
- Le Livre populaire (1905)
- Le Livre de demain (1923-1947)
- Leçons inaugurales du Collège de France (1950)
- Voici la France (1958)
- Recherches avancées (series editor: Raymond Abellio) (1974)
- Les Enfants du fleuve (series editor: Jean-Claude Didelot) (1990)
- Pour une histoire du XXe siècle (1991)
- Histoire de la pensée (1999)
- Fayard noir (2004-2009)
- À venir (series editor: Geoffroy de Lagasnerie) (2009)
- Le Monde (23 March 2009). "Claude Durand quitte la présidence des éditions Fayard au profit d'Olivier Nora". Le Monde.fr.
- Hubert Artus (23 March 2009). "Olivier Nora, nouveau PDG de Fayard : la vengeance de Grasset ?". rue89.com. Archived from the original on 14 March 2013.
- Le Monde (6 November 2013). "Sophie de Closets devient PDG de Fayard". Le Monde.fr.
- Le Magazine Littéraire (3 December 2009). "Fayard absorbe Hachette Littératures". Archived from the original on 22 January 2016.