Open main menu
Roll formed metal fascias (the horizontally oriented metallic surface, with two "lines" along it, that is just below the corrugated roof edge, which overhangs the fascias by a few inches) on the house in Northern Australia. Portable roll forming machines make it possible to create long lengths on the building site, thus reducing joints. The eaves or soffit lining can be seen.

Fascia (/ˈfʃə/) is an architectural term for a vertical frieze or band under a roof edge, or which forms the outer surface of a cornice, visible to an observer. [1]

Typically consisting of a wooden board, uPVC or non-corrosive sheet metal, many of the non-domestic fascias made of stone form an ornately carved or pieced together cornice in which case the term fascia is rarely used.

The word fascia derives from Latin "fascia" meaning "band, bandage, ribbon, swathe". The term is also used, although less commonly, for other such band-like surfaces like a wide, flat trim strip around a doorway, different and separate from the wall surface.

The horizontal "fascia board" which caps the end of rafters outside a building may be used to hold the rain gutter. The finished surface below the fascia and rafters is called the soffit or eave.

In classical architecture, the fascia is the plain, wide band across the bottom of the entablature, directly above the columns. The "guttae" or drip edge was mounted on the fascia in the Doric order, below the triglyph.

See alsoEdit

  • Bargeboard, a board fastened to a projecting gable
  • Eaves, a roof projection beyond the line of a building
  • Soffit, the surface or surfaces, often structural under a roof projection. The term used in other structures such as for the underside of an arch.


  1. ^ "Understanding Fascia and Soffit Repair". 2015. Retrieved 12 October 2015.