- Marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships
- Child protective proceedings, as may result from state intervention in cases of child abuse and child neglect
- Juvenile court matters, including status offenses, delinquency and juvenile adjudication
- Paternity, including establishing and disestablishing paternity, and paternity testing
This list is not exhaustive and varies depending on jurisdiction.
- California Child Actor's Bill, or the Coogan Law
- Legitimacy (family law)
- Merger doctrine (family law)
- Supervised visitation
- Algerian Family Code
- Family Court of Australia
- Family Law Act (Alberta, Canada)
- Family law system in England and Wales
- Malian Family Code
- Mudawana, the Moroccan Family Code
- The Philippines' Family Code of 1987
- Nashim, the order of the Mishnah outlining Jewish family law
- Testimony of Barbara DaFoe Whitehead, Ph.D, Co-Director, National Marriage Project Rutgers University, before US Senate Subcommitee
- Wallerstein, Judith, Ph.D., "The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce", an analysis of the long-term effect of divorce on children; NPR interview (2001)
- R. Partain, "Comparative Family Law, Korean Family Law, and the Missing Definitions of Family", (2012) HongIk University Journal of Law, Vol. 13, No. 2.
- Finer, Sir Morris (1974). Report of the Committee on One-Parent Families: presented to Parliament by the Secretary of State for Social Services by command of Her Majesty July 1974. H.M.S.O.