Eva Barbara Novak (February 14, 1898 – April 17, 1988) was an American film actress, who was quite popular during the silent film era.
Novak, early 1920s
Eva Barbara Novak
February 14, 1898
St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.
|Died||April 17, 1988 (aged 90)|
|Spouse(s)||William Reed (m.1921)|
|Relatives||Jane Novak (sister)|
Anne Schaefer (aunt)
Eva Barbara Novak was born in St. Louis, Missouri to Joseph Novak, an immigrant from Bohemia, and Barbara Medek. Her older sister, Johana, also became an actress. Joseph Novak died when Eva was still a child and Barbara was left to raise five children.
Novak began her acting career in 1917, with her first film role being in L-KO's Roped into Scandal, followed by another seven films that same year. She appeared in 17 films in 1918, and another eight in 1919. In 1920, she starred opposite Tom Mix in The Daredevil, one of six film roles she would have that year, and one of 10 films in which she starred opposite Tom Mix.
In 1921, she married stuntman William Reed, whom she met while on location for a film. She was interested in stunt performing herself, having been taught by Mix to perform many of her own stunts. From 1921 to 1928, she appeared in and starred in 48 films, including an early version of Boston Blackie. She also co-starred with Betty Bronson and Jack Benny in The Medicine Man (1930) and appeared in the 1922 film Chasing the Moon, which was an early forerunner of the 1950s film D.O.A. In the late 1920s, she and her husband moved to Australia, where she made numerous films, including The Romance of Runnibede. However, with the advent of "talking films", her popularity faded. She would continue to act, but mostly in obscure roles.
- The King of the Kitchen (1918)
- The Freckled Fish (1919)
- The Speed Maniac (1919)
- The Feud (1919)
- Wanted at Headquarters (1920)
- The Testing Block (1920)
- Silk Husbands and Calico Wives (1920)
- O'Malley of the Mounted (1921)
- Society Secrets (1921)
- The Man from Hell's River (1922)
- Sky High (1922)
- Chasing the Moon (1922)
- The Man Who Saw Tomorrow (1922)
- Making a Man (1922)
- The Tiger's Claw (1923)
- A Noise in Newboro (1923)
- The Man Life Passed By (1923)
- Boston Blackie (1923)
- Dollar Devils (1923)
- Temptation (1923)
- Listen Lester (1924)
- The Beautiful Sinner (1924)
- The Fatal Mistake (1924)
- Women First (1924)
- Laughing at Danger (1924)
- The Triflers (1924)
- Sally (1925)
- Irene (1926)
- Say It with Babies (1926)
- No Man's Gold (1926)
- 30 Below Zero (1926)
- The Romance of Runnibede (1927)
- For the Term of His Natural Life (1927)
- The Medicine Man (1930)
- The Topeka Terror (1945)
- Apology for Murder (1945)
- Blackmail (1947)
- Four Faces West (1948)
- 3 Godfathers (1948)
- Havana Rose (1951)
- Wild Seed (1965)
- Katchmer, George A. (September 22, 2009). "A Biographical Dictionary of Silent Film Western Actors and Actresses". McFarland – via Google Books.
- The Independent, London, February 1990
- "OBITUARIES : Eva Novak; Sweetheart of Silent-Movie Cowboy Stars". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 1, 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eva Novak.|