This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Esther Hicks (née Weaver, born March 5, 1948) is an American inspirational speaker and author. She has co-written nine books with her husband Jerry Hicks, presented numerous workshops on the law of attraction with Abraham Hicks Publications and appeared in the original version of the 2006 film The Secret. The Hicks' books, including the series The Law of Attraction, are — according to Esther Hicks — "translated from a group of non-physical entities called Abraham." Hicks describes what she is doing as tapping into "infinite intelligence".
Esther and Jerry Hicks in 2007
March 5, 1948 (age 69)
Coalville, Utah, U.S.
|Residence||San Antonio, Texas, U.S.|
|Known for||Author and public speaker for Abraham-Hicks|
|Home town||Coalville, Utah|
|Children||Tracy Geer Ayers|
Esther Weaver was born in Coalville, Utah. In 1980 she married Jerry Hicks, then a successful Amway distributor. In his early life Jerry Hicks had been a circus acrobat for two years in Cuba, and then, beginning in 1948, had toured for 20 years as a musician, MC, and comedian. Esther has one daughter, Tracy, by her former marriage. Jerry Hicks died on 18 November 2011 from cancer.
Outline of Abraham–Hicks' teachingsEdit
According to Esther and Jerry Hicks, "Abraham" consists of a group of entities which are "interpreted" by Esther Hicks. Abraham have described themselves as "a group consciousness from the non-physical dimension". They have also said, "We are that which you are. You are the leading edge of that which we are. We are that which is at the heart of all religions." Abraham has said through Esther that, whenever one feels moments of great love, exhilaration, or pure joy, that is the energy of source and that is who Abraham is.
Esther herself calls Abraham "infinite intelligence", and to Jerry they are "the purest form of love I've ever experienced". Her teachings (known as "Abraham–Hicks teachings") are based on this experience. The basic tenets of the teachings includes one that says that people create their own reality through their attention and focus. Emotions are a person's guidance system that indicate how close or distant that person is to how their Source feels about a particular topic of focus. Life is meant to be fun and easy. The essence of Abraham–Hicks' teachings since 1986 has been presented as follows:
- Individuals are physical extensions of the non-physical.
- People are in their bodies because they chose to be.
- The basis of life is freedom; the purpose of life is joy; the result of life is growth.
- People are creators; they create with their thoughts and attention.
- Whatever people can imagine clearly with emotion, by creating a perfect vibrational match, is theirs to be, or do, or have.
- Individuals choose their creations as they choose their focus.
- Emotions indicate what people are creating, either consciously or unconsciously.
- The universe adores people; it knows their broadest intentions.
- Individuals are invited to happily relax into their natural well-being and know that all is well.
- Life is not meant to be a struggle, but a process of allowing.
- People are creators of "thoughtways" on their unique "paths of joy".
- Desirable physical manifestations such as money, relationships, and lifestyle success are by-products of focusing on joy.
- Individuals may depart their body without illness or pain.
- People cannot die; their lives are everlasting. Death of the physical body does not end the life of the individual.
- The nature of the universe is life-affirming. It is infinite, creative and expanding.
- All desire can be fulfilled.
- Individuals are not only a part of the universe but are the very source of it.
A large part of Hicks' work centers around the law of attraction, a concept which William Walker Atkinson (1862–1932) wrote about in his book Thought Vibration or the Law of Attraction in the Thought World (1906).
Esther Hicks narrated and appeared in the original version of the film The Secret, as well as being a central source of the film's inspiration. The footage featuring Hicks was removed from the later "Extended Edition" after the film's creator Rhonda Byrne, who has been involved in contractual disputes and litigation regarding the film, rescinded the original contract covering Hicks' participation, and asked that Hicks relinquish her "intellectual property rights in these areas forever". In an open letter posted on the internet, Hicks stated that she had been "uncomfortable with what felt to us like a rather aggressive marketing campaign," and that ultimately Abraham gave her the following advice: "Whenever you are given an ultimatum that says, 'if you don't do this, then we will have to do such and such,' it is best that you just let it go and move on. Otherwise there is always another, and this, and this, and this." The letter doesn't condemn Byrne, but clarifies why Hicks no longer appears in The Secret.
Hicks has since posted a video on YouTube further explaining her discomfort with The Secret and finally, her decision to discontinue involvement with the film.
Hay House, Inc. published the Hicks' book, Ask and it is Given, in September 2004. Since that book they have also published The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent (January 2006), The Law of Attraction (October 2006), The Astonishing Power of Emotions (September 2008), Money and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Health, Wealth & Happiness, and The Vortex: Where the Law of Attraction Assembles All Cooperative Relationships (2009). A series of fictional children's books, Sara I, II, and III, is also available. Several of their books were translated into Spanish, French, Italian, German, Dutch, Swedish, Czech, Croatian, Slovenian, Slovak, Serbian, Romanian, Russian and Japanese.
- A New Beginning I: Handbook for Joyous Survival, by Jerry and Esther Hicks. Published by Abraham–Hicks Publications, 5th edition, 1988.
- A New Beginning II: A Personal Handbook to Enhance your Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness, by Jerry and Esther Hicks. Published by Abraham–Hicks Publications, 1991.
- Sara and the Foreverness of Friends of a Feather, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Abraham–Hicks Publications, 1995.
- Ask and it is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Hay House, 2005.
- The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent: Living the Art of Allowing, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Contributor Louise L. Hay. Published by Hay House, 2005.
- The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Hay House, 2006.
- Sara, Book 1: Sara Learns the Secret about the Law of Attraction, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Illustrated by Caroline S. Garrett. Published by Hay House, 2007.
- Sara, Book 2: Solomon's Fine Featherless Friends, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Illustrated by Caroline S. Garrett. Published by Hay House Inc, 2007.
- Sara, Book 3: A Talking Owl is Worth a Thousand Words!, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Illustrated by Caroline S. Garrett. Published by Hay House Inc, 2008.
- The Astonishing Power of Emotions, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Hay House Inc, 2008.
- Money and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Health, Wealth & Happiness by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Hay House, 2008.
- The Vortex: Where the Law of Attraction Assembles All Cooperative Relationships by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Hay House, 2009.
- Getting into the Vortex: Guided Meditations CD and User Guide by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Release date November 15, 2010. Published by Hay House, 2009.
- "Shaking Riches out of the Cosmos". The New York Times. February 25, 2007. Retrieved November 16, 2008.
- "Dirty Little 'Secret'". New York Post. February 25, 2007. Retrieved November 16, 2008.
- "Interview: The couple who claim they can make you rich beyond your wildest dreams". The Independent. July 8, 2007. Retrieved November 16, 2008.
- "The secret of Rhonda's success". The Australian. August 23, 2008. Retrieved April 5, 2009.
- "Note from Esther about Jerry". Law of Attraction blog. November 23, 2011. Retrieved December 18, 2008.
- "Abraham-Hicks Official Website, About". Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- William Walker Atkinson (1906). Thought Vibration or the Law of Attraction. Advanced Thought Publishing.
- "Letter to Friends". Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- Abraham: The Secret behind The Secret — Esther & Jerry Hicks. YouTube. April 28, 2007. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Best Sellers, August 31, 2008". The New York Times. August 31, 2008. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Best Sellers, October 4, 2009". The New York Times. October 4, 2009. Retrieved March 19, 2013.