Garrel was born in Paris, the daughter of filmmaker Philippe Garrel and actress Brigitte Sy. Her brother is actor Louis Garrel, and her grandfather is actor Maurice Garrel. Her mother is of Sephardic Jewish descent.
Garrel made her film debut in Wild Innocence, directed by her father. She went on to star in 17 Girls, directed by Delphine and Muriel Coulin, which had its world premiere at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, as well as Youth, directed by Justine Malle. In 2013 Garrel starred alongside her brother in Jealousy, directed by her father.
In 2017, Garrel co-starred in Call Me by Your Name, directed by Luca Guadagnino, opposite Timothée Chalamet, Armie Hammer, and Michael Stuhlbarg. It had its world premiere at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival. She went on to star in Thirst Street, directed by Nathan Silver, which had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on 21 April 2017, and Lover for a Day, directed by her father, and which had its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2017.
|1999||Zanzibar à Saint-Sulpice||Short|
|2001||Wild Innocence||Little girl|
|2008||The Beautiful Person||Esther|
|Rien dans les poches||Hélène Manikowski||TV Movie|
|2009||Un chat un chat||Sibylle|
|2010||Where the Boys Are||Esther||Short|
|Armandino e il madre||Sara||Short|
|House of Tolerance||A prostitute|
|Les carrés blancs||She||Short|
|Je sens plus la vitesse||Marthe||Short|
|2014||Tu garderas la nuit||Magda||Short|
|Marguerite & Julien||The storyteller|
|Victor ou la piété||Camille||Short|
|Lover for a Day||Jeanne|
|Call Me by Your Name||Marzia|
|2018||The Great Pretender||Thérése|
|2019||Sisters in Arms||Yaël|
|Schneeweiss (Snow White)||Schneeweiss||Short|
|2020||Adventures of a Mathematician||Francoise|
- Olsen, Mark (16 August 2014). "'Jealousy' a Garrel family endeavor to create art from loss". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "Petit Tailleur, le coup de foudre filmé par Louis Garrel". Les Inrocks (in French). 2010-10-06. Retrieved 2020-03-25.
- "Transmissions avec Louis et Philippe Garrel". www.franceinter.fr (in French). Retrieved 2020-03-25.
- "Wild Innocence". MUBI. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- Holden, Stephen (20 September 2012). "Follow the Leader, to Extremes". The New York Times. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "17 Girls". New York Film Festival. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- Stein, Sophia (11 July 2013). "Honor Thy Father's Obsessions". Cultural Weekly. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- Scott, A.O (14 August 2014). "Love and Unhappiness, in Soft Shades of Gray". The New York Times. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- Raup, Jordan (May 23, 2016). "Michael Stuhlbarg, Armie Hammer & More Leading Luca Guadagnino's 'Call Me By Your Name'". The Film Stage. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "2017 SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL: COMPETITION AND NEXT LINEUP ANNOUNCED". Sundance Film Festival. 29 November 2016. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "Thirst Street". Tribeca Film Festival. Archived from the original on 15 June 2017. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- Cox, Gordon (March 2, 2017). "Tribeca Film Festival Unveils 2017 Feature Film Slate (FULL LIST)". Variety. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- Croll, Ben (19 May 2017). "'Lover For a Day' Review: Philippe Garrel Looks at Love in Shades of Gray, Again — Cannes 2017". Indiewire.com. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "Film and TV Projects Going Into Production - Julia". Variety Insight. Archived from the original on March 26, 2021. Retrieved March 26, 2021.