Escape from Zahrain
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Escape from Zahrain is a 1962 American action film directed by Ronald Neame and starring Yul Brynner, Sal Mineo, Jack Warden, Madlyn Rhue and Anthony Caruso. The film is based on the novel Appointment in Zahrain by Michael Barrett (1960).
|Escape from Zahrain|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ronald Neame|
|Screenplay by||Robin Estridge|
Dudley Nichols (uncredited)
|Based on||Appointment in Zahrain|
by Michael Barrett
|Music by||Lyn Murray|
|Edited by||Eda Warren|
The film is set in the fictional state of Zahrain, located in the Arabian Peninsula. An officer in the security service of a despotic regime arranges to murder a jailed revolutionary leader (Brynner) while he is being transferred between prisons. The leader’s supporters stage a rescue, intending to subsequently flee across the desert to the Protectorate of Aden.
In the chaos of the rescue two condemned prisoners, a common criminal with no interest in politics (Caruso) and an American oil worker (Warden), join the leader and the mastermind of the breakout (Mineo) in getting away. Later they encounter an educated nurse (Rhue) who they are compelled to take along, and a jaded British intelligence agent (James Mason) who they are confident will not reveal their whereabouts. Together they provide different perspectives on the Middle East of the early 1960s.
By May 1961 Yul Brynner was attached as star, with Ronald Neame to produce and direct and Sal Mineo to co star. Neame said "the picture is a complete departure for me - a completely uninhibited chase story. For years I had tabbed as a long haired boy who likes difficult subjects and the notion has always badgered me. Escape for Zahrain however is one for the drive ins and I've thoroughly enjoyed it." Robin Estridge wrote the script.
Filming began June 1961.
- "Escape from Zahrain". 23 May 1962 – via www.imdb.com.
- "Escape from Zahrain (1962) - Overview - TCM.com". Turner Classic Movies.
- "Escape from Zahrain (1962) - Screenplay Info - TCM.com". Turner Classic Movies.
- ESCAPE FROM ZAHRAIN Monthly Film Bulletin; London Vol. 29, Iss. 336, (Jan 1, 1962): 94.
- UNDER THE BOMB Share, Bernard. The Irish Times (1921-Current File); Dublin, Ireland [Dublin, Ireland]20 Feb 1960: 6.
- Looking at Hollywood: Cary Buys Screenplay for Himself, Hepburn Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune 12 Sep 1959: w_a8.
- Dmytryk to Direct Paramound Picture: 'Appointment in Zahrain' His First Since 'Mountain' Scheuer, Philip K. Los Angeles Times 10 Oct 1960: C13.
- Looking at Hollywood: Carroll Baker Set for Broadway Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963); Chicago, Ill. [Chicago, Ill]22 May 1961: b11.
- Looking at Hollywood: TV Star Rod Taylor to Be in Mitchum Film Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune 26 June 1961: b16.
- Neame Completes 'Drive-In' Feature: British Director Satisfied With Non-Long-Hair Debut Scheuer, Philip K. Los Angeles Times 15 Sep 1961: B7.
- Robert Horton Forms Production Company Los Angeles Times 22 June 1961: C8.
|This article about an action-adventure film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|