This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Erwin Stengel (25 March 1902 - 2 June 1973) was an Austrian-British neurologist, psychiatrist, and psychoanalyst. Born in Vienna, he studied medicine under Paul Schilder and Julius Wagner-Jauregg there. With the Anschluss of 1938, he emigrated to England with Ernest Jones's assistance. He took up successive positions in Bristol, Edinburgh and Oxford, intermitting with internment on the Isle of Man as an enemy alien, before becoming Reader at the Institute of Psychiatry, London, in 1943, where he conducted pioneering work on attempted suicide. He moved to be Professor of Psychiatry at Sheffield University from 1957 to 1967. Concurrent with his work on suicide, he had a sustained interest in the dementias, pioneering advances in understanding of Alzheimer's Disease. Trained as a psychoanalyst, he became an Associate Member of the Vienna Psycho-Analytic Society in 1931 and a Member of the British Psycho-Analytic Society in 1938. He translated Sigmund Freud's Zur Auffassung der Aphasien (1891) into English as On Aphasia. A Critical Study (1953).
- Hill D. Erwin Stengel. In: Wolstenholme G, ed. Lives of the Fellows of the Royal College of Physicians of London continued to 1975 (Munk’s Roll, Vol VI). Oxford – Washington DC, IRL Press 1982: 415
- Stengel E. Attempted Suicide: Its Social Significance and Effects. Oxford, Oxford University Press 1958
- Stengel E. Suicide and Attempted Suicide (Studies in Social Psychology). London, Macgibbon & Kee 1965
- Jenner, F. A. (2004). Stengel, Erwin (1902–1973). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/61421.(subscription required)
- Stengel, Prof. Erwin, Who Was Who. Oxford University Press. 2007.(subscription required)
- "Ernest Jones: Funeral Addresses—Spoken at Golders Green Crematorium on Friday, 14 February 1958". International Journal of Psycho-Analysis. 39: 304–307. 1958.
- Jenner, F. A. (1991). "Erwin Stengel. A personal memoir". Berrios G E & Freeman H: 150 Years of British Psychiatry 1841–1991. London: Gaskell. pp. 436–44.
|This article about a United Kingdom psychiatrist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|