Erwan Dianteill (born 1967) is a French sociologist and anthropologist, graduate of the Ecole Normale Supérieure Paris-Saclay, holder of the aggregation in the Social Sciences, Doctor of Sociology and professor of Cultural and Social anthropology at the Sorbonne (Paris Descartes University). He is also a Senior member of the Institut Universitaire de France since 2012, and Non-Resident Fellow of the WEB DuBois Research Institute at Harvard University since 2017.
Dianteill's work explores anthropological and sociological theories about religion and interconnections between political and religious powers. It also includes the study of symbolic origins of domination and resistance.
He has done researches on Afro-American cultures (Cuba, United States, Brazil), on the evolution of autochthonous religions in West Africa (Benin) and on new Christian churches. He published two books on Afrocuban religions in Havana and one book on the African American Spiritual Church in New Orleans.
Erwan Dianteill is presently completing this Afro-Atlantic research with a fieldwork in West Africa : he has been conducting a fieldwork since 2007 in Porto-Novo (Benin) on the transformation of the Fa/Ifá divination in a modern African city (in 2009, film of a Fa/Ifá initiation and complete recording of the myths attached to the Fa/Ifá divination signs). In addition, Dianteill was the first scholar to study extensively the Epiphany festival of Porto-Novo (Benin), a unique popular celebration created by a catholic missionary (Francis Aupiais) and a Vodu dignitary (Zounon Medje) in 1923. He also conducts a critical reading of the history of anthropology and sociology of religions (three books co-authored with Michael Löwy).
Erwan Dianteill created in 2010 the Center of Cultural and Social Anthropology – CANTHEL – component of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences – Sorbonne. Along with Francis Affergan, he also founded CARGO  – International journal of Cultural and Social anthropology, in 2011.
He was a visiting professor at the University of California at Santa Barbara, Tulane University (New Orleans), the University of Buenos Aires, the National University of Honduras, the University of Havana, the University of Vienna and Harvard University (Divinity School) in 2016.
At the UNESCOEdit
He was previously Vice-President of the same council from 2017 until 2019, representing Western Europe and North America.
Main publications (in French)Edit
- 2017 Porto-Novo Epiphany - Texts, History, Ethnography, Porto-Novo & Paris, Editions des Lagunes, 2017 (bilingual, Gungbe and French)
- 2017 Fictitious sacred - Sociology and religion, literary approaches (with Michael Löwy), Paris, Editions de l'éclat, collection "Imaginary philosophy"
- 2011 Eshu, god of Africa and the New World (with Michèle Chouchan), Paris, Larousse
- 2009 Sociology and religion III – Unusual approaches (with Michael Löwy), Paris, PUF, collection "Sociology today"
- 2008 (editor, with Bertrand Hell) The Spectacular Possession : theater and globalization, journal Gradhiva, April 2008.
- 2006 The Black Samaritan Woman - African American Spiritual churches in New Orleans, Editions de l’Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, collection "Cahiers de l’Homme"
- 2006 Sociology and religion II – Dissident approaches (with Michael Löwy), Paris, PUF, collection "Sociology today"
- 2000 Of Gods and signs - Initiation, divination and writing in Afro-Cuban religions. Paris, Editions de l’Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, collection "Civilisations et sociétés"
- 1995 The Scholar and the Santero - Birth of the study of Afro-Cuban religions (1906-1954). Paris, Editions L'Harmattan / Université Paris 8, Collection "Histoire des Antilles Hispaniques", ISBN 2-7384-3829-6
- "E. Dianteill on the IUF website". Archived from the original on 2015-01-09. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- "Des dieux et des signes Initiation, écriture et divination dans les religions afro-cubaines, Paris, Editions de l'EHESS, 2000".
- "LE SAVANT ET LE SANTERO : Naissance de l'étude scientifique des religions afro-cubaines (1906-1954), Paris, l'Harmattan, 1995".
- "La Samaritaine Noire, Paris, Editions de l'EHESS, 2006".
- "E. Dianteill books on the BNF website".
- "Sociologies et religion. Volume 2, Paris, PUF, 2006".
- "Sociologies et religion. Volume 3, Paris, PUF, 2009".
- "Le Sacré fictif. Sociologies et religion, approches littéraires, Paris, Editions de l'éclat, 2017".
- "CANTHEL - Center for Cultural Anthropology / Sorbonne".
- "CANTHEL Aeres rating 2013" (PDF).
- "CARGO - International journal for cultural and social anthropology". Archived from the original on 2015-09-23. Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "HDS courses taught by Erwan Dianteill". Archived from the original on 2016-01-18. Retrieved 2015-09-24.