|see § List of discovered minor planets|
Between 1996 and 1999, using the private observatory Meyer/Obermair in Davidschlag (municipality Kirchschlag bei Linz, Austria), he discovered a total of 21 asteroids. Seven of these asteroids were discovered together with his colleague Erwin Obermair and one together with Herbert Raab. Furthermore, he was involved in six other discoveries of asteroids between 1996 and 2005, which were assigned as site discoveries to the observatory Davidschlag by the International Astronomical Union.
Meyer's most important observations include precisie astrometry of the comet Shoemaker–Levy 9, which he observed together with Erwin Obermair and Herbert Raab in 1993. These observations have significantly contributed to the subsequent prediction of the impact of this comet on the planet Jupiter. In 2018 Erich Meyer was able to identify the residential house of Johannes Kepler in Linz in Hofgasse (house no. 7) - after 400 years.
Meyer is a member of the Astronomical Society of Linz (Linzer Astronomische Gemeinschaft). By profession, he works as an engineer in the field of maintenance of industrial plants.
Awards and honorsEdit
On April 4, 1997, Meyer was presented the Decoration of Honour for Services to the Republic of Austria (Silver) of the republic of Austria. The asteroid 7940 Erichmeyer was named in his honor on June 10, 1998. In 2005, Meyer was awarded a "Gene Shoemaker NEO Grant" by the Planetary Society to support his work on near-Earth objects.
List of discovered minor planetsEdit
|9236 Obermair||12 March 1997||list|
|13682 Pressberger||10 August 1997||list [A]|
|14057 Manfredstoll||15 January 1996||list [B]|
|14977 Bressler||26 September 1997||list|
|15949 Rhaeticus||17 January 1998||list [B]|
|15955 Johannesgmunden||26 January 1998||list|
|16802 Rainer||25 September 1997||list|
|24916 Stelzhamer||7 March 1997||list|
|26355 Grueber||23 December 1998||list|
|29427 Oswaldthomas||7 March 1997||list|
|43955 Fixlmüller||6 February 1997||list [B]|
|48681 Zeilinger||21 January 1996||list [B]|
|48801 Penninger||22 October 1997||list|
|58499 Stüber||3 November 1996||list [B]|
|85411 Paulflora||3 November 1996||list [B]|
|96506 Oberösterreich||26 July 1998||list|
|100417 Philipglass||7 March 1996||list|
|100485 Russelldavies||3 November 1996||list [B]|
|130078 Taschner||26 November 1999||list|
|137632 Ramsauer||26 November 1999||list|
|318723 Bialas||8 September 2005||list|
|(376215) 2011 DK42||15 January 1996||list|
|Co-discovery made with:|
A H. Raab or B E. Obermair
- "Minor Planet Discoverers (by number)". Minor Planet Center. 11 July 2018. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- Minor Planet Discoverers - Minor Planet Center. Retrieved 2015-01-10.
- Minor Planet Discoveries - Webseite of the Davidschlag Observatory Archived 2015-01-10 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2015-01-10.
- IAUC 5800: Periodic Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 (1993e). Retrieved 2015-01-10.
- "Keplers Wohnadresse in Linz entdeckt - science.ORF.at". science.ORF.at (in German). 2018-05-08. Retrieved 2018-05-12.
- http://www.bilfinger.com/karriere/people-at-bilfinger/erich-meyer/ Retrieved 2015-07-20
- Recipients of Medals of Honour for Services to the Republic of Austria (German). Retrieved 2015-01-10.
- Lutz D. Schmadel: Dictionary of Minor Planet Names (5th Edition), p. 624. Springer Verlag, Berlin/Heidelberg 2003, ISBN 3-540-00238-3
- The 2005 Gene Shoemaker NEO Grant Recipients. Retrieved 2015-06-26.