Eric I, Duke of Mecklenburg
|Born||probably in 1365, definitely after 1359|
|Died||26 July 1397|
Klintehamn south of Visby
|Noble family||House of Mecklenburg|
|Spouse(s)||Sophie of Pomerania-Wolgast|
|Father||Albert III, Duke of Mecklenburg|
|Mother||Richardis of Schwerin|
Eric's father attempted to consolidate his position as King of Sweden in 1364 and again in 1386. Queen Margaret I of Denmark intervened and defeated Albert in the battle of Åsle, in the vicinity of Falköping, in 1389. Albert and Eric were captured during this battle. They were released in 1395 after three years of negotiations involving Hinrich Westhof and Johann Niebur, the mayors of Lübeck.
Later that year, Albert tasked Eric with the reconquest of Gotland. In the summer of 1396, Eric landed on the island with an army and in the spring of 1397, he defeated Sven Sture, who then had to swear allegiance to Albert III. Also in 1397, the kingdoms of Denmark, Norway and Sweden were united into the Kalmar Union, which cemented the position of Queen Margaret I.
Duke Eric (as he was called) died of the plague in 1397 on his estate called Landeskrone or Kronvall in Klintehamn south of Visby (in Gotland). He was buried in St. Mary's Church, also known as Visby Cathedral, where part of his original gravestone is on display.
References and sourcesEdit
- Jörgen Bracker: Klaus Störtebeker – Nur einer von ihnen. Die Geschichte der Vitalienbrüder, in: Ralf Wiechmann: Klaus Störtebecker: ein Mythos wird entschlüsselt, Fink, Paderborn/München, 2003, ISBN 3-7705-3837-4, pp. 9–59
- Matthias Puhle: Die Vitalienbrüder: Klaus Stortebeker und die Seeräuber der Hansezeit, 2d ed., Campus Verlag, Frankfurt am Main, 1994, ISBN 3-593-34525-0
- Literature about Eric I, Duke of Mecklenburg in the State Bibliography (Landesbibliographie) of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Starbäck, Carl Georg; Bäckström, Per Olof. "Berättelser ur svenska historien". www.Runeberg.org. Project Runeberg. p. 27. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Nordman, Viljo Adolf in Albrecht Herzog von Mecklenburg König von Schweden, Suomalaisen Tiedeakatemian Tuomituksia B:44:1, Suomalaisen Tiedeakatemia, Helsinki 1939 p. 336.
- Centuries of Selfies ISBN 9789189179639 p. 110
- see: Puhle, p. 93 and Bracker, 2003, p. 24 and Hanse Records I 4 Nr. 438, §4, p. 416
- Article (in Swedish) at guteinfo.com