The word equestrian is a reference to equestrianism, or horseback riding, derived from Latin equester and equus, "horse".
Horseback riding (or Riding in British English) edit
Examples of this are:
- Equestrian sports
- Equestrian order, one of the upper classes in ancient Rome
- Equestrian statue, a statue of a leader on horseback
- Equestrian nomads, one of various nomadic or semi-nomadic ethnic groups whose culture places special emphasis on horse breeding and riding
- Equestrian at the Summer Olympics, a division of Olympic Games competition
- The ship Equestrian, used to transport convicts from England to Australia, for example Alfred Dancey.