Enveloped Ideas (song)
"Enveloped Ideas" is a song by Filipino rock/new wave band The Dawn. It is the first single from their 1987 eponymous debut album. The song was written by guitarist Teddy Diaz and C. Fineza, and produced by Jose Mari Gonzales. It was engineered by Oscar Mallari, and mixed by Joseph Roxas and Bob Guzman.
|Single by The Dawn|
|from the album The Dawn|
|B-side||"Enveloped Ideas (Minus One Version)"|
|Label||OctoArts International, Inc.|
|Songwriter(s)||Teddy Diaz, C. Fineza|
|Producer(s)||Jose Mari Gonzales|
|The Dawn singles chronology|
"Enveloped Ideas" is the band's signature song along with "Salamat" and "Iisang Bangka Tayo". The lyrics in the first verse are: "Trying pointlessly to understand, having nothing to say, just shadows, what remained boxed inside, this is what i call my enveloped ideas".
The independently-released single was initially played as a demo at the Manila-based radio station DWXB. Listener reaction to the single was so positive, that the Dawn became a byword in Pinoy rock music. The song has been certified gold by OctoArts International.
This song won over a large and loyal following for the band in 1986 when the demo version was played on the seminal radio station DWXB 102.7, and on the strength of that, they managed to snag a recording contract with OctoArts International. It seemed like they did not have to suffer too much through the requisite period as starving artists as the band's manager Martin Galan recalls: "There was that year", but all things considered, a year seems inconsequential, given that the band went from small venues and house parties to playing the Metropolitan Theater in about that amount of time.
David Gonzales of AllMusic described this song as "enigmatic". The song started with Pablo Molina singing a slow melodic line in an operatic manner, accompanied by funereal organ chords. Peppy, spirited keyboard lines jump in, and the song is kickstarted to a lively, highly melodic tune, with a synthesizer riff. The song also features a guitar solo by Teddy Diaz.
- "THE DAWN: AND THE BAND PLAYED ON". Rogue. Archived from the original on 18 March 2014. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- Villanueva, Val A. (2009-02-22). "Audiofile: "Mr. DJ"". PhilStar.com. Archived from the original on 2012-09-09. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- Jay Taruc (2008). i-Witness:Salamat Teddy (Documentary TV-Series). Philippines: GMA Network.
- Gonzales, David. "The Dawn - The Dawn: OPM Timeless Collection (Gold Series)". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "The Dawn — Enveloped Ideas". Discogs. Retrieved 6 June 2013.