Entfernet euch, ihr heitern Sterne, BWV Anh. 9
Entfernet euch, ihr heitern Sterne (Disperse yourselves, ye stars, serenely!), BWV 1156 (formerly BWV Anh. 9), is a birthday cantata by Johann Sebastian Bach. He composed it in Leipzig to celebrate the 57th birthday of the Elector of Saxony, King Augustus II the Strong, and it was performed for him on his birthday, 12 May 1727, on the Marktplatz of Leipzig, by students of the University of Leipzig, with Bach directing. The king was also presented with the work's libretto, written by Christian Friedrich Haupt.
|Entfernet euch, ihr heitern Sterne|
|Secular cantata by J. S. Bach|
|English||Disperse yourselves, ye stars, serenely!|
|Catalogue||BWV 1156 (BWV Anh. 9)|
|Occasion||birthday of the sovereign|
|Libretto||by Christian Friedrich Haupt|
|Date||12 May 1727|
|Conductor||J. S. Bach|
The music to this secular birthday cantata by Bach is lost. It has been speculated from the surviving libretto, however, that several movements from the Mass in B minor are derived from it. A reconstruction has been created using the music of the Mass.
The reconstruction by Dr. Klaus Höfner has been recorded.
- Work 01317, Entfernet euch, ihr heitern Sterne, at Bach Digital website.
- "Cantata BWV Anh 9". Bach Cantatas Website. Herzliya: Aryeh Oron. 2005-10-01. Retrieved 2008-11-19.
- Charlton, David (2000). "Music of the Augustan Age: Outside Composers". Classical Net. Windsor, California.
- Schweitzer, Albert (1967). "XXX. The Secular Cantatas". J. S. Bach. 2. Ernest Newman. New York: Dover Publications. p. 273. ISBN 978-0-486-21632-4.
- Timm, David (2009). Festmusiken zu Leipziger Universitätsfeiern (in German). Leipziger Universitätschor. pp. 8f. Retrieved 2 December 2012.