Dr. Enrique Tangonan Ona, Jr. (born June 4, 1939) is a Filipino surgeon and public servant. He was the Secretary of the Department of Health from 2010 to 2014, succeeding Dr. Esperanza Cabral. Recognized as one of the top surgeons in the field of vascular surgery and organ transplantation, he earned his Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) from the University of the Philippines College of Medicine at the University of the Philippines Manila.
|Secretary of the Philippine Department of Health|
June 30, 2010 – December 19, 2014
|President||Benigno Aquino III|
|Preceded by||Esperanza Cabral|
|Succeeded by||Janette Garin|
|Executive Director of National Kidney and Transplant Institute|
|Succeeded by||Aileen Riego-Javier|
|Born||June 4, 1939|
Sagay, Negros Occidental, Commonwealth of the Philippines
|Alma mater||University of the Philippines Manila|
Before being appointed by President Benigno Aquino III to the Health secretary post, Ona was the executive director of the National Kidney and Transplant Institute (NKTI), the post he held for 11 years and has been the president of the Transplantation Society of the Philippines since 1989. He also holds a medical license in the state of Massachusetts, United States.
After being appointed to the Health Department post, president Benigno Aquino III has instructed him "with regard to expediting universal coverage of PhilHealth, which was one of the campaign promises of Aquino considering that health is the third priority in the platform of the Aquino administration."
Awards and recognitionEdit
- The Presidential Award of Recognition in Organ Transplantation, Year 2000.
- Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) awardee for Medicine in 1979.
- "PHI brods headline UPMAS Homecoming Ball 2013". Phi Kappa Mu. December 20, 2013. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- "The President's Men and Women: DOH chief to promote reproductive health". Philstar. 2010-07-07. Retrieved 2010-07-11.[dead link]
- "Profile of Aquino's Cabinet members". Sunstar. 2010-07-03. Archived from the original on 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2010-07-09.
| Philippine Secretary of Health
2010 – 2014
|This article about a Filipino politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|