Ella Spira is a composer based in London, United Kingdom. Spira co-founded the Production Company 'Sisters Grimm', alongside former Royal Ballet ballerina Pietra Mello-Pittman. Spira writes and composes music for ballet and film, and also works as an arranger making dance remixes for popular UK artists. She was born in Gloucester, and was mentored by film composer David Arnold.
In 2008, Spira was nominated for the Channel 4 Talented Newcomers Award for production music, partly as a result of her achievements as a UK delegate for a European Arts Initiative sponsored by the British Council. A year later she was commissioned to write a series of pieces for the BAFTA/Rocliffe New Writers’ Forum for the 2009 International Screenwriters' Festival. In the same year, Spira co-founded dance production company Sisters Grimm with Royal Ballet dancer Pietra Mello-Pittman.
Spira has created film scores, dance compositions for The Royal Ballet and made remixes for Bruno Mars and Nelly. She is currently collaborating with South African choir Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Mark Baldwin, artistic director of Rambert Dance Company, for a new dance work Inala to be premiered at London's Sadler's Wells Theatre in July 2013.
Ballet and danceEdit
- Inala (2012/2013). Co-composer with Joseph Shabalala; Sisters Grimm production with Rambert Dance Company, The Royal Ballet and Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Music recorded at Abbey Road Studios
- Rapunzel – The Final Chapter (2009). Sisters Grimm ballet film; co-production with the Royal Opera House/The Royal Ballet. Music recorded at Air Lyndhurst Studios
- Reves au Chemin (2008). Created for The Royal Ballet's Draft Works performances at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London. Music recorded and mixed by Bradley Kohn at Abbey Road Studios
- Jasmine (2011). A Film London short film. Screened at the 2011 BFI Film Festival
- Uncut (2009). Uncut is the first British feature film shot in one take and was screened at BAFTA. Music recorded at Dean Street Studios
- The Fixer (2008). Co-composer with Bradley Kohn for the ITV drama series The Fixer. Music recorded at Home Farm Studios, Hertfordshire
In 2010 Ella began an association with Steve Smart and West Funk and worked as arranger on club remixes for the following Top 20 UK hits:
- "The Colour of Genius". BBC. 14 October 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "RADIO CHOICE.(Features)". Daily Mail – via HighBeam Research (subscription required). 14 October 2011. Archived from the original on 28 September 2014. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- Suter, Billy (3 December 2010). "Three unique dance shows for Durban". The Mercury – via HighBeam Research (subscription required). Archived from the original on 23 September 2014. Retrieved 13 September 2012.