|Total length||Approx. 5,900 km between Fortaleza (Brazil) and Sines (Portugal)|
|Topology||4 fiber pairs|
|Design capacity||100 Tbit/s (4 fiber pairs)|
|Date of first use||June 1st 2021|
For more than 20 years there was no practical direct data transfer routes between Europe and South America. The only cable linking the two continents was Atlantis-2, which was not used for internet data transfer due to its limited capacity.
One of the project's goal is to circumvent the United States as route to connect with Europe, due to the power this man-in-the-middle position gives to spy Brazilian communications by intelligence agencies, such as the National Security Agency. In that regard, the then President of Brazil, Dilma Rousseff, said the EllaLink would be central to "ensure the neutrality" of the internet, showing her wish to block Brazilian internet traffic against US vigilance.
The cable was launched 1 June 2021, providing a direct data route between Portugal and Brazil.
EllaLink has received a Global Carrier Award in the category "Best Subsea Project of the Year".
- As of 06:19, Saturday, October 23, 2021 (UTC)
Cable manufacture began in 2019 and installation of the cable was started in December 2020. Two vessels (Ile de Brehat and Ile de Sein) were used to lay down the cable and its branching units. The installation of the cable was finished on February 28, 2021. The vessel Ile de Sein laid down the last universal cable joint linking together the Brazilian branch left by Ile de Brehat on February 1, 2021 and the European branch.
- "EllaLink | Subsea Cable | Our Team".
- Digital, Olhar (January 21, 2019). "Brazil and Europe will be interconnected by new fiber optic submarine cable".
- "High expectations for Brazil undersea cable to Europe".
- "Brazil, Europe plan undersea cable to skirt U.S. spying".
- Cerulus, Laurens (May 1, 2021). "Portugal looks to rule the waves again (thanks to undersea data)". Politico. Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- Junior, Luiz Alberto Rasseli. "EllaLink repeats success at Global Carrier Award as Best Subsea Project of the Year". www.redclara.net.
- "Spanish and Brazilian governments team up for submarine cable". www.datacenterdynamics.com.
- "Marguerite closes EllaLink submarine cable investment | Marguerite".
- "EllaLink achieves major project milestones: marine survey, manufacturing and operator licenses". GlobeNewswire News Room. October 24, 2019.
- "EllaLink: all aboard | GÉANT CONNECT Online". GÉANT CONNECT Online | The leading collaboration on e-infrastructure and services for research and education. November 18, 2020.
- "Congratulations to our seafarers onboard cable ship Ile de Sein". Louis Dreyfus Armateurs. 2021-02-18. Retrieved 2021-05-08.
- "EllaLink: all aboard | GÉANT CONNECT Online". GÉANT CONNECT Online | The leading collaboration on e-infrastructure and services for research and education. 2020-11-18. Retrieved 2021-05-08.