Elbbrücken station (Elbe bridges station) is a public transit terminal station in Hamburg, Germany, near the railway and road bridges called Elbbrücken leading over the Norderelbe. It consists of two elevated stops, one for the Hamburg U-Bahn underground which opened in 2018, and one for the Hamburg S-Bahn suburban trains which opened a year later. Each stop has two tracks, interlinked by a "skywalk". The station is the terminus of the U4 U-Bahn line and is between Hammerbrook and Veddel on the S3/S31 S-Bahn lines. It was built to provide easier access to the new HafenCity quarter of Hamburg from the south.
|Owned by||Deutsche Bahn|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Fare zone||HVV: A/000, 106, and 108|
|Opened||7 December 2018|
(S-Bahn: 15 December 2019)
Construction and opening edit
The U-Bahn station was opened in December 7, 2018. The opening of the S-Bahn stop has been delayed due to problems during construction works. Holes for the foundation could not be drilled as planned because drilling machines partly met resistance at 10 metres (33 ft) below the surface. While the cost for the U-Bahn section was lower than expected – down from €178 million to €145 million, including the route from the previous station HafenCity Universität – the cost for the S-Bahn stop was expected to rise from €43 million to €57 million. The S-Bahn station was opened to the public on the December 15, 2019.
Model of the station site
U-Bahn platforms at night
U-Bahn section in February 2018
U-Bahn stop, skywalk and S-Bahn stop under construction, May 2018
S-Bahn stop just after opening, December 2019
- Eisenbahnatlas Deutschland (German railway atlas) (2017 ed.). Schweers + Wall. 2017. ISBN 978-3-89494-146-8.
- "Stationspreisliste 2024" [Station price list 2024] (PDF) (in German). DB Station&Service. April 24, 2023. Retrieved November 29, 2023.
- "Tarifplan" (PDF). Hamburger Verkehrsverbund. December 15, 2019. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
- U4-Haltestelle Elbbrücken wird 33,2 Millionen Euro günstiger, shz.de
- S-Bahnhof Elbbrücken wird später fertig, Norddeutscher Rundfunk, July 31, 2018
- "Neue S-Bahnstation Elbbrücken" (in German). Retrieved December 17, 2019.