Edward Weinfeld (May 14, 1901 – January 17, 1988) was a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
August 5, 1950 – January 17, 1988
|Appointed by||Harry S. Truman|
|Preceded by||Simon H. Rifkind|
|Succeeded by||John S. Martin Jr.|
May 14, 1901
New York City, New York
|Died||January 17, 1988 (aged 86)|
New York City, New York
|Education||New York University School of Law (LL.B., LL.M.)|
Education and careerEdit
Born on May 14, 1901, in New York City, New York, Weinfeld received a Bachelor of Laws in 1921 from the New York University School of Law and a Master of Laws in 1922 from the same institution. He served as chief counsel for the New York State Legislative Committee Investigating Bondholders Commission in 1935. He was the Commissioner of Housing for the State of New York from 1939 to 1942. He was Vice President and Director of the Citizens Housing and Planning Council for the State of New York from 1943 to 1950.
Federal judicial serviceEdit
Weinfeld was nominated by President Harry S. Truman on July 10, 1950, to a seat on the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York vacated by Judge Simon H. Rifkind. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on August 1, 1950, and received his commission on August 5, 1950. He was a member of the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation from 1968 to 1978. His service terminated on January 17, 1988, due to his death in New York City.
- "Weinfeld, Edward - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Lubasch, Arnold H. (18 January 1988). "Judge Edward Weinfeld, 86, Dies; On U.S. Bench Nearly 4 Decades" – via NYTimes.com.
- Edward Weinfeld: A Judicious Life. New York: Federal Bar Foundation, 1998.
- Nelson, William E. (2004). In Pursuit of Right and Justice: Edward Weinfeld as Lawyer and Judge. New York: New York University Press. ISBN 0814758282.
- "Judge Edward Weinfeld, 86, Dies; On U.S. Bench Nearly 4 Decades". New York Times. January 18, 1988.
- This article incorporates facts obtained from the public domain Biographical Directory of Federal Judges compiled by the Federal Judicial Center.
Simon H. Rifkind
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
John S. Martin Jr.