Edmond Byron Sumner (born December 31, 1995) is an American professional basketball player for the Indiana Pacers of the National Basketball Association (NBA). A point guard, he played college basketball for the Xavier Musketeers and participated in the 2017 NBA draft. He was drafted 52nd by the New Orleans Pelicans but was subsequently traded to the Indiana Pacers.
|No. 5 – Indiana Pacers|
|Position||Point guard / Shooting guard|
|Born||December 31, 1995|
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Listed weight||176 lb (80 kg)|
|High school||Detroit Country Day|
(Beverly Hills, Michigan)
|NBA draft||2017 / Round: 2 / Pick: 52nd overall|
|Selected by the New Orleans Pelicans|
|2017–2019||→Fort Wayne Mad Ants|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Sumner spent 3 years playing for the Xavier Musketeers (at Xavier University, Cincinnati) from 2014-2017. He played in 6, 31 and 21 games in each of the years he attended. Sumner was sidelined with an injury in an 82-77 win against St. John's in January 2017 and did not play the rest of the season. At that point, he was averaging 14.9 points, 4.9 assists and 4.4 rebounds per game. This was not the first time he had suffered knee issues; his freshman season was cut to just 6 games as he withdrew from further playing due to chronic tendinitis in his knees.
Indiana Pacers (2017–present)Edit
On June 23, Sumner was selected by the New Orleans Pelicans, only to be traded to the Indiana Pacers in exchange for cash considerations. Sumner signed a two-way contract with the Pacers on July 5, 2017, becoming the first second round draft pick to sign such a deal. In the 2017-18 season, Sumner struggled for minutes and spent significant time with the Pacers' G-League team, the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. This continued into the beginning of the 2018-19 season, but when teammate Victor Oladipo suffered a season ending injury of a quadriceps tendon rupture his playing time increased significantly, and was given his first NBA start, against the Golden State Warriors. On February 11, 2019, Sumner signed a standard NBA contract with the Pacers which was reported to be a two-year contract.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
NBA G LeagueEdit
- "Edmond Sumner". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- "Xavier's Edmond Sumner announces he's entering NBA Draft". Cincinnati.com. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- "Edmond Sumner selected in NBA Draft, dealt to Indiana Pacers". Cincinnati.com. 23 June 2017. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Edmond Sumner Profile-Men's Basketball-Xavier University". goxavier.com. Retrieved 2019-02-17.
- "Xavier might have lost starting point guard Edmond Sumner for the season". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- "Edmond Sumner sidelined by chronic tendinitis". cincinnati.com. Retrieved 2019-02-17.
- "Breaking down Edmond Sumner's first NBA start with the Indiana Pacers". 8 Points 9 Seconds. Retrieved 2019-02-17.
- "Pacers Sign Edmond Sumner". NBA.com. February 11, 2019. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- "Pacers Sign Edmond Sumner To Two-Year Contract". realgm.com. February 11, 2019. Retrieved February 11, 2019.