Players considered to be edge rushers are usually 4–3 defensive ends or 3–4 outside linebackers. Note that 3–4 outside linebackers often act as an extension of the defensive line, in that they will attack the offensive tackles or blocking tight ends on the majority of their snaps under a majority of 3–4 schemes, though it is not uncommon to see them drop back and play a more traditional 4–3 linebacker role as well.
One reason the word "edge" is used in the term "edge rusher" is that edge often refers to the area outside of offensive tackles, but within a couple of yards of the line of scrimmage. While other positions will rarely be referred to as edge rushers, other than 4–3 defensive ends and 3–4 outside linebackers, it is common for defensive backs, traditional linebackers, and even defensive tackles to occasionally play the position on a play-to-play basis.
- Joey Bosa (DE)
- Nick Bosa (DE)
- Jadeveon Clowney (OLB/DE)
- Myles Garrett (DE)
- Chandler Jones (OLB)
- Cameron Jordan (DE)
- T. J. Watt (OLB)
- Chase Young (DE)
- Yannick Ngakoue (OLB/DE)
- Holler, John (April 11, 2017). "NFL vocabulary is changing". 247sports.com.
- Schalter, Ty (August 8, 2012). "4-3 vs. 3-4: Showcasing the Biggest Differences in the NFL Pass Rushes". bleacherreport.com.
- "ITP Glossary: Set The Edge". insidethepylon.com. January 12, 2016.
- Wilson, Ryan (July 7, 2020). "Ranking top 10 EDGE rushers, defensive linemen in NFL: TJ Watt, Aaron Donald lead the way". CBS Sports. Retrieved November 24, 2020.
|Positions in American football and Canadian football|
|Offense (Skill position)||Defense||Special teams|
|Linemen||Guard, Tackle, Center||Linemen||Tackle, End, Edge rusher||Kicking||Placekicker, Punter, Kickoff specialist|
|Quarterback (Dual-threat, Game manager, System)||Linebacker||Snapping||Long snapper, Holder|
|Running backs||Halfback/Tailback (Triple-threat, Change of pace), Fullback, H-back, Wingback||Backs||Cornerback, Safety, Halfback, Nickelback, Dimeback||Returning||Punt returner, Kick returner, Jammer, Upman|
|Receivers||Wide receiver (Eligible), Tight end, Slotback, End||Tackling||Gunner, Upback, Utility|
|Formations (List) — Nomenclature — Strategy|