Edgar Valter (21 September 1929, Tallinn – 4 March 2006, Tartu) was an Estonian writer and illustrator of children's books, with over 250 books to his name, through 55 years of activity (1950–2005). His most famous work is Pokuraamat (The Poku Book).
|Born||21 September 1929|
|Died||4 March 2006(aged 76)|
|Notable awards||Meie Mats|
Edgar Valter was born on 21 September 1929, in Tallinn, the fourth child of a family of eight kids. He completed middle-school in 1945, but didn't graduate from Secondary School.
He began working as a freelance artist in 1950, eventually illustrating some of the most famous Estonian children literature characters, including the Krõll, the Naksitrallid, the Sipsik, and the Kunksmoor. Edgar Valter illustrated over 250 books, most of them being books for children. His caricatures were published by many journals and newspapers. Edgar Valter worked for the magazines Hea Laps (a good kid), Täheke (a star), Pioneer, and Pikker (a humor and satire magazine published during soviet times).
Edgar Valter lived his last 15 years in the Pöörismäe farm, located at the Urvaste rural municipality of the Võrumaa County. He died on March 4, 2006. His remains were cremated and buried on May 17, 2006 at Metsakalmistu in Tallinn.
The Poku Book and PokusEdit
First published in 1994, Pokuraamat (The Poku Book) tells the tale of Pokus. A poku is a grass mound that grows in south-eastern Estonian bogs. In the book, Valter interprets pokus as animated childlike creatures, the grass actually being their golden head hair, which grows down to their feet. Its central theme is emphasizing the need to respect and to live in harmony with nature.
Pokuraamat was the first book that was both written and illustrated by Edgar Valter. In 1996, the book won the prestigious Nukits competition award for best children book of the year. Edgar Valter wrote two subsequent Poku-related books after that: Pokuaabits (poku alphabet) (2002) and Pokulood (poku nature) (2004).
- Jahikoera memuaarid (1974; 2004)
- Pokuraamat (1994; 2001; 2005)
- Ahaa, kummitab (1995)
- Kassike ja kakuke (1995)
- Lugu lahkest lohe Justusest ja printses Miniminnist (1995)
- Kullast vilepill (1996)
- Isand Tuutu ettevõtmised (1997)
- Iika (1998)
- Pintselsabad (1998)
- Metsa pühapäev (1999)
- Kuidas õppida vaatama? (2000)
- Ho-ho-hoo! (2002)
- Pokuaabits (2002)
- Natuke naljakad pildid (2003)
- Pokulood (2004)
- Ikka veel kummitab (2005)
- Maalid 1983–2005 (2007). Selected paintings.
- Karikatuurid läbi aegade (2011). Caricatures through time.
- Lasteraamatute illustratsioonid 1948–2005 (2014). Children book illustrations.
- Incomplete illustrated bibliography (in Estonian)
- The Project Pokuland (in English and Estonian). Includes photos, sample art work, and more information about Edgar Valter.
- Paintings (in English and Estonian).
- Edgar Valter's 84th Birthday Google Doodles, 2012
- Blog dedicated to Edgar Valter's illustrations Many art samples from his books and other publications] (in Estonian).