This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Edgar Meyer (born November 24, 1960) is an American bassist and composer. His styles include classical, bluegrass, newgrass, and jazz. His collaborators have spanned a wide range of musical styles and talents; among them are Joshua Bell, Hilary Hahn, Yo-Yo Ma, Jerry Douglas, Béla Fleck, Zakir Hussain, Sam Bush, Stuart Duncan, Chris Thile, Mike Marshall, Mark O'Connor, Christian McBride, and Emanuel Ax.
|Born||November 24, 1960|
|Origin||Oak Ridge, Tennessee, United States|
Meyer grew up in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. He learned to play the double bass from his father, Edgar Meyer, Sr., who directed the string orchestra program for the local public school system. Meyer later went on to Indiana University to study with Stuart Sankey.
As a composer, his music has been premiered and recorded by Emanuel Ax, Joshua Bell, Yo-Yo Ma, the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain, Hilary Hahn, and the Emerson String Quartet, among others. The Nashville Symphony and the Aspen Music Festival and School commissioned his first purely orchestral work which was premiered by the Nashville Symphony in March 2017. Additionally, Bravo! Vail and The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields commissioned an Overture for Violin and Orchestra that was premiered by Joshua Bell and ASMF in June 2017.
Meyer's most recent recording is a collection of Bach trios with Chris Thile and Yo-Yo Ma, and he was honored with his fifth Grammy Award in 2015 for his Bass & Mandolin recording with Chris Thile.
- Unfolding (1986)
- Dreams of Flight (1987)
- Love of a Lifetime (1988)
- Work in Progress (1990)
- Bach: Unaccompanied Cello Suites Performed on Double Bass (2000)
- Meyer and Bottesini Concertos (2002)
- Edgar Meyer (2006)
- Appalachia Waltz (1996)
- Appalachian Journey (2000)
With Béla Fleck
With Chris Thile
- Telluride Sessions (1989) – as "Strength in Numbers"
- Skip, Hop, and Wobble (1993) – with Jerry Douglas and Russ Barenberg
- Bourbon and Rosewater (1996) – with Vishwa Mohan Bhatt and Jerry Douglas
- Schubert: Quintet, Op. 114 "The Trout" (1996) – with Emanuel Ax, Pamela Frank, Rebeca Young, and Yo-Yo Ma
- Uncommon Ritual (1997) – with Béla Fleck and Mike Marshall
- Short Trip Home (1999) – with Joshua Bell
- Grammy nominated
- Dawg Duos (1999) – with David Grisman
- Violin Concerto (2000) – with Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra and Hilary Hahn
- The Melody of Rhythm – Triple Concerto & Music for Trio (2009) – with Béla Fleck and Zakir Hussain
- The Goat Rodeo Sessions (2011) – with Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan and Chris Thile
- Bach Trios (2017) – with Yo-Yo Ma and Chris Thile
- [dead link]
- "Celebrating 50 Years of the Nashville Symphony and TN Arts". Tennessee Arts Commission. March 13, 2017. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- "Edgar Meyer - Overture for Violin and Orchestra". www.boosey.com. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- "Yo-Yo Ma, Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer's "Bach Trios" Out Now on Nonesuch - Nonesuch Records". Nonesuch Records Official Website. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- "Edgar Meyer". GRAMMY.com. February 15, 2019. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- "Bio". Blair School of Music. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- "Edgar Meyer". www.curtis.edu. Retrieved March 19, 2019.