Edel SE & Co. KGaA
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)
Edel SE & Co. KGaA is a German independent media company based in Hamburg. As a label and publishing group, it also operates marketing and sales for artists and smaller music labels. The repertoire of the Edel labels includes dance, rock and pop music to classical music and a children's catalogue. In addition to the development and marketing of music, the group also deals with the production, logistics and distribution of CDs, DVDs, vinyls, and books at the production site of the subsidiary optimal media GmbH in Röbel/Müritz as well as with services in the online and book business.
|Type||Privately held company|
|Industry||Music, entertainment, publishing|
|Genre||Pop music, rock, classical, entertainment for children, books|
|Jonas Haentjes (CEO)|
|Products||CD, vinyl, DVD & Blu-ray, book|
|Revenue||€214 million (2019/2020)|
Number of employees
|Divisions||optimal media GmbH|
Kontor New Media
Edel Germany GmbH
Edel was founded in 1986 by the current chairman of the board of directors and the majority shareholder Michael Haentjes as a one-man company under the name edel Gesellschaft für Produktmarketing mbH and initially dealt exclusively with mail order for film music. In 1992, the company name was changed to edel Company Music GmbH. The company grew steadily and recorded sales of more than 150 million Deutsche Mark in 1995. In 1998, under the new company name edel music AG, the IPO (WKN 564950) and the listing on the Neuer Markt followed. The first stock market listing was 101 DM. The IPO brought the company a gross capital inflow of almost 60 DM million. As part of a global strategy, investments were acquired abroad, for example the PIAS Group in Belgium, which also included Connected Music Vertrieb GmbH, founded by Haentjes in 1997, and Eagle Rock, London. In 2000, more than 1 billion DM in consolidated sales was achieved.
In connection with the general crisis in the music business, the collapse of the Neuer Markt and the high costs of integrating the additional companies, a crisis followed in 2001, which jeopardised the company's continued existence. In 2002, Edel and Roland Berger Strategy Consultants implemented an extensive corporate restructuring program. Parts of the company and shareholdings were repelled and loss-making companies were closed.
Of more than 1,700 employees, about 750 remained in the company. Thanks to this consolidation and the stable business of the manufacturer's subsidiary, positive business figures were again achieved. At the end of the short financial year 2001 (30.09.) Edel changed from listing in the Neuer Markt to the Regulated Market / General Standard of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange, which was transferred to the Regulated Market in 2007.
In February 2007, edel music AG took over the book division of Pabel-Moewig with cookbooks, guides, puzzle books, children's books and some licenses such as the silver volumes of the science fiction series Perry Rhodan, thus expanding its media division.
At the Annual General Meeting in May 2007 it was decided to remove the addition "music" in the company name. The company then operated under the name edel AG until 2010. In December 2009, the listing on the Regulated Market was revoked. The stock has since been traded on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
In 2010, Edel took over 75% of the then ZS publishing house, followed by the remaining 25% in October 2014.
In January 2011, the spelling of the company name changed to Edel AG.
In March 2011, Edel AG finally acquired the evaluation rights for the TV and cinema films around the cartoon characters Pettersson and Findus from the insolvent TV-Loonland AG.
In October 2012, Edel AG acquired 100% of the shares in Brilliant Classics B.V., which is one of the leading companies in the field of classical music. The label, based in Leeuwarden, Netherlands, sells its products through a worldwide network of distributors.
Since October 2015, Edel holds 75% of Pandastorm Pictures GmbH.
The change of form is intended to ensure the influence of the family after a generational succession. In addition, the general partner of KGaA should be given the legal form of a European Company (SE).
Business divisions and participationsEdit
100%: Edel Germany GmbH with the divisions Edel Kultur, Edel Books, Eden Books, Edel Motion, Edel Kids, Edel Kids Books. Edel Distribution, and earMUSIC.
100%: optimal media GmbH with the areas of production and distribution of sound and data media, production and distribution of books. to
66.8%: Kontor Records GmbH, dance label with the brands Kontor Top of the Clubs and Kontor House of House.
100%: Kontor New Media GmbH with the areas Mobile Entertainment, Internet and Digital Distribution.
100%: ZS Verlag GmbH, Münchener Buchverlag since 2010.
Furthermore, Edel holds 75% of the shares of Pandastorm Pictures GmbH and 100% of the Dutch Brilliant Classics B.V.
- "Edel AG Geschäftstätigkeit, Finanzanalyse, Ausblick und Historie – boersen-zeitung.de". 20 December 2015. Archived from the original on 20 December 2015. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Edel – Music, Books & Entertainment – Über uns". Edel – Music, Books & Entertainment (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "MusikWoche | Connected Music Vertrieb GmbH | Company". www.mediabiz.de (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Edel – Music, Books & Entertainment – Geschäftsberichte". Edel – Music, Books & Entertainment (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "edel music übernimmt Buchsparte der Bauer-Tochter Pabel-Moewig KG". FinanzNachrichten.de (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Edel AG – Zabert Sandmann – Übernahme der Anteile zu 100 Prozent". 21 February 2017. Archived from the original on 21 February 2017. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Ad-hoc-Mitteilung: Generationswechsel im Vorstand der Edel AG eingeleitet". Edel – Music, Books & Entertainment (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Lizenzen / Edel erwirbt Pettersson und Findus-Rechte". boersenblatt.net (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- GmbH, BuchMarkt Verlag K. Werner (25 October 2012). "Edel AG übernimmt Brilliant Classics B.V." BuchMarkt (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Edel kauft legendäres Jazzlabel von Universal". Edel AG. Archived from the original on 14 February 2015.
- "Pandastorm Pictures wird Teil Edel-Gruppe". Edel – Music, Books & Entertainment (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Jonas Haentjes tritt als Designierter CEO in die Edel-Gruppe ein". Edel – Music, Books & Entertainment (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- Geisler, Bob (21 December 2015). "Nachfolge: Sohn soll Edel-Chef Michael Haentjes beerben". abendblatt.de (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Ad-hoc-Mitteilung: Wechsel im Aufsichtsrat der Edel AG". Edel – Music, Books & Entertainment (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "PTA-Adhoc: Edel AG: Edel AG plant Formwechsel in Kommanditgesellschaft auf Aktien". FinanzNachrichten.de (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Edel schließt Generationsübergang ab und vollzieht Wechsel der Rechtsform in SE & Co. KGaA". Edel – Music, Books & Entertainment (in German). Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Geschäftsbericht 2010. In: edel.com. 12. Mai 2011, S. 36, abgerufen am 9. März 2017" (PDF).