eXist-db (or eXist for short) is an open source software project for NoSQL databases built on XML technology. It is classified as both a NoSQL document-oriented database system and a native XML database (and it provides support for XML, JSON, HTML and Binary documents). Unlike most relational database management systems (RDBMS) and NoSQL databases, eXist-db provides XQuery and XSLT as its query and application programming languages.
|Original author(s)||Wolfgang Meier|
|Developer(s)||Pierrick Brihayne, Leif-Jöran Olsson, Adam Retter, Dmitriy Shabanov, and Dannes Wessels.|
4.3.1 / July 24, 2018
5.0.0-RC3 / August 1, 2018
|Operating system||Linux, Mac, Windows|
|Standard(s)||XQuery XSLT XPath XUpdate XQJ DTD XML Schema RelaxNG XML|
|License||GNU LGPL v2.1.|
eXist-db is released under version 2.1 of the GNU LGPL.
eXist-db was created in 2000 by Wolfgang Meier. Major versions released were 1.0 in September 2006, 2.0 in February 2013, 3.0 in February 2017, 4.0 in February 2018, and 5.0.0-RC1 in June 2018.
The British company Evolved Binary Ltd founded by Adam Retter, is working on a next-generation successor (codenamed "Granite") to eXist-db. Retter first publicly announced Project "Granite" at the Markup UK conference in London on June 9th 2018.
There is an O'Reilly book for eXist-db which is co-authored by Adam Retter and Erik Siegel.
eXist-db allows software developers to persist XML/JSON/Binary documents without writing extensive middleware. eXist-db follows and extends many W3C XML standards such as XQuery. eXist-db also supports REST interfaces for interfacing with AJAX-type web forms. Applications such as XForms may save their data by using just a few lines of code. The WebDAV interface to eXist-db allows users to "drag and drop" XML files directly into the eXist-db database. eXist-db automatically indexes documents using a keyword indexing system.
Supported standards and technologiesEdit
eXist-db has support for the following standards and technologies:
- XPath - XML Path language
- XQuery - XML Query language
- XSLT - Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations
- XSL-FO - XSL Formatting Objects
- WebDAV - Web distributed authoring and versioning
- REST - Representational state transfer (URL encoding)
- RESTXQ - RESTful annotations for XQuery
- XInclude - server-side include file processing (limited support)
- XML-RPC - a remote procedure call protocol
- XProc - a XML Pipeline processing language
- XQuery API for Java
- "Adam Retter - O'Reilly Media". Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- "InfoWorld Best XML Database 2006"
- "About eXist Solutions". Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- "EvolvedBinary". Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- "Tweet from Markup UK about new db beta". Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- "Adam Retter also announces a new API compatible database". Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- "eXist". Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- eXist XQJ API