Dutch Headwind Cycling Championships
The Dutch Headwind Cycling Championships (in Dutch: NK Tegenwindfietsen, pronounced [ˈteːxənʋɪndˌfitsən]) are the annually open Dutch cycling time trial Championships by storm (not regulated by the Royal Dutch Cycling Union). Taking place on the Oosterscheldekering storm barrier the championships are held in Fall or Winter since 2013 and face out on to the North Sea. Competitors must ride the 8.5 km course against the wind on upright single-speed bikes, which are provided by the organization. The championships are announced three days before storm is expected. Since 2014 there is also a team time trial. A total of 200 individual cyclists (2020, 300 cyclists) could participate and 25 teams of four cyclists. Participants start 30 seconds apart from each other and the one with the fastest time wins.
|Date||Fall or Winter; organized ad hoc when a storm is announced|
|Local name(s)||NK Tegenwindfietsen (in Dutch)|
|First winner||Men's: Bart Brentjens|
Women's: Irene Tesink
|Most recent||Men's: Max de Jong|
Women's: Lisa Scheenaard
In 2020 both the male and female reigning champions (from 2018) prolonged their titles.
|2013||December 15, 2013||5||Bart Brentjens||17m 51sec||Irene Tesink||19m 31sec||N/A|
|2014||December 11, 2014||8 SW||Wouter Mesker||18m 06sec||Nathalie Simoens||22m 34sec||Wind in de Rug
Erik van Lakerveld
|2015||October 11, 2015||7||Pico de Jager||19m15s||Mathilde Matthijsse||21m23s||Wind in de Rug||18m39s|
|2016||November 20, 2016||9 (code yellow)||Teun Sweere||22m30s||Mathilde Matthijsse||28m09s||Jan de Jonge Fietsen||21m34s|
|2017||Did not take place, due to the absence of stormy conditions|
|2018||December 8, 2018||7||Max de Jong||18m16s||Lisa Scheenaard||20m28s||Team Nooitstop|
|2019||Did not take place|
|2020||February 9, 2020 (during Storm Ciara)||8 (code orange)||Max de Jong||20m00s||Lisa Scheenaard||23m08s||No team winner — contest stopped early due to overly dangerous conditions||
- "The hardest time trial in the world? Riders suffer at Dutch Headwind Championships (video)". cyclingweekly.co.uk. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "Geen sterveling kan record NK Tegenwindfietsen breken" (in Dutch). Algemeen Dagblad. 11 December 2014. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "NK-Tegenwindfietsen zoekt deelnemers" (in Dutch). Metro. 9 December 2014. Archived from the original on 11 December 2014. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- Brentjens wint eerste NK tegenwind
- "NK Tegenwindfietsen 2015 - winnaars bekend". Racefietsblog.nl (in Dutch). 2015-12-06. Retrieved 2020-02-09.
- "NK Tegenwindfietsen: zwaarste editie ooit" [Netherlands Championship Cycling into a Headwind]. Metro (Dutch newspaper) (in Dutch). Retrieved 2020-02-10.