Donovan Junior Wilson (born 14 March 1997) is an English footballer who plays as a forward for EFL League Two side Port Vale, on loan from EFL Championship club Wolverhampton Wanderers. He joined Wolves from Bristol Rovers in January 2015 following a brief loan spell, and made his first-team debut in February 2017.
|Full name||Donovan Junior Wilson|
|Date of birth||14 March 1997|
|Place of birth||Yate, England|
(on loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers)
|200?–2004||Bradley Stoke United|
|2014–2015||→ Wolverhampton Wanderers (loan)||0||(0)|
|2018–||→ Port Vale (loan)||8||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:00, 18 March 2018 (UTC).
Wilson began his career at Bristol Rovers, signing a one-year deal at the age of 17 in May 2014; he had spent ten years at the club's academy after signing from Bradley Stoke United at the age of seven. He made the bench at the Memorial Stadium during the 2014–15 Conference Premier promotion winning season, but did not make it onto the pitch for the "Pirates". Manager Darrell Clarke reportedly had planned to give him his debut in one match before realising he had already made his three allotted substitutions.
Wilson initially joined Wolverhampton Wanderers in a loan deal in November 2014, before a permanent transfer for an undisclosed fee was finalised once the January transfer window opened. He played three EFL Trophy matches for the under-23 team in the 2016–17 season, and scored in the 4–0 win over Accrington Stanley at the Crown Ground on 8 November. He signed a new 18-month contract in December 2016. He made his first-team debut for Wolves in the FA Cup on 18 February 2017, coming on as a 76th-minute substitute for Andreas Weimann in a 2–0 defeat to Chelsea at Molineux. Manager Paul Lambert said that he had put Wilson on the bench because of his pace, though he remained behind fellow youngsters Bright Enobakhare, Connor Ronan and Morgan Gibbs-White in the first-team pecking order. Wilson made his EFL Championship debut on 14 April, coming on as a 76th-minute substitute for Jón Daði Böðvarsson in a 2–0 home defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion.
He scored his first senior goal on 23 August 2017, in a 2–0 victory over Premier League club Southampton at St Mary's in the Second Round of the EFL Cup. He signed a new three-year contract two months later. On 11 January 2018, he joined EFL League Two side Port Vale on loan until the end of the 2017–18 season. The "Valiants" had previously attempted to sign Wilson on loan the previous summer. Manager Neil Aspin said there had been competition from others clubs to sign the youngster. On 17 March, Wilson scored his first goal in the English Football League in a 2–2 draw with Stevenage at Vale Park.
Style of playEdit
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Bristol Rovers||2014–15||Conference Premier||0||0||0||0||—||0||0||0||0|
|Wolverhampton Wanderers U23||2016–17||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||3[a]||1||3||1|
|Port Vale (loan)||2017–18||League Two||8||1||—||—||—||8||1|
- Appearances in the EFL Trophy
- "Retained List 2016-17" (PDF). English Football League. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Donovan Wilson signs a pro-contract with Rovers". Bristol Rovers F.C. 27 November 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Donovan Wilson at Soccerway
- "Striker delighted to extend Wolves stay". wolves.co.uk. 4 March 2016. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Wolves land Donovan Wilson permanently". Express & Star. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Checkatrade Trophy (Sky Sports)". SkySports. 6 November 2016. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "New contracts for Wolves trio". Express and Star. 22 December 2016. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Wolves 0–2 Chelsea". BBC Sport. 18 February 2017. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Donovan Wilson backed by Paul Lambert to succeed at Wolves". Express and Star. 22 February 2017. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-2 Brighton & Hove Albion". BBC Sport. 14 April 2017. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Southampton 0–2 Wolves". BBC Sport. 23 August 2017. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Judah, Nathan (31 October 2017). "Wolves duo Donovan Wilson and Christian Herc sign new deals". Express and Star. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Baggaley, Michael (11 January 2018). "Port Vale sign striker Donovan Wilson on loan from Wolves". Stoke Sentinel. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Spiers, Tim (31 August 2017). "Wolves winger Jordan Graham joins Fulham on loan". Express and Star. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Baggaley, Michael (11 January 2018). "Port Vale boss delighted to see off rivals for Wolves striker Donovan Wilson". Stoke Sentinel. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Baggaley, Michael (18 March 2018). "Comment as Port Vale edge towards safety and fans vent frustration at owner". Stoke Sentinel. Retrieved 18 March 2018.
- "Games played by Donovan Wilson in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Games played by Donovan Wilson in 2015/2016". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Games played by Donovan Wilson in 2016/2017". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Games played by Donovan Wilson in 2017/2018". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Donovan Wilson at Soccerbase