Donatus Ibeakwadalam Nwoga
30 July 1933
|Notable work||West African Verse: An Anthology, and Poetic Heritage: Igbo Traditional Verse|
Early life and educationEdit
Nwoga was from Mbaise in Imo State. He studied at St Brigid's School, Ahiara. In the 1950s, Nwoga studied at the University of London and then at Queen's University Belfast, where he attended classes with the poet Seamus Heaney. Nwoga was a founding editor of the student magazine Gorgon and likely the first person to publish Heaney's work.
Nwoga and Romanus Egudu researched Igbo poetry and published a collection of translated into English. Nwoga taught with Chinua Achebe in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
He was a member of organisations including the African Literature Association, he International African Institute, the Association for Commonwealth Language and Literature Studies, and The Folklore Society.
Death and legacyEdit
Following Nwoga's death in 1991, Heaney wrote a tribute to him titled "A Dog Was Crying Tonight in Wicklow Also".
The Institute of African Studies at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, launched a Dictionary of Igbo Proverbs in Nwoga's honour.
A memorial lecture was in Nwoga's name was created at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. In the opening remarks of the 2020 lecture, Dean of the Faculty of Arts Nnanyelugo Okoro described Nwoga as "a humanist and intellectual elephant.
- Udo, Mary (2017-03-23). "NWOGA, Prof. Donatus Ibe". Biographical Legacy and Research Foundation. Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- "Donatus Ibeakwadalam Nwoga". Celebrating Igbo People. 11 March 2009. Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- Suhr-Sytsma, Nathan (2017-07-10). Poetry, Print, and the Making of Postcolonial Literature. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1-107-16684-4.
- Hoy, Seán (September 2017). "Ambassador's Blog: Letter from Nsukka". Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- Fraser, Robert (1986-09-04). West African Poetry: A Critical History. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-31223-3.
- Matzke, Christine; Raji, Remi; Raji-Oyelade, Aderemi; Davis, Geoffrey V. (2006). Of Minstrelsy and Masks: The Legacy of Ezenwa-Ohaeto in Nigerian Writing. Rodopi. ISBN 978-90-420-2168-6.
- Nwoga, Donatus Ibe (1967). West African Verse: An Anthology. Longmans.
- Egudu, Romanus N.; Nwoga, Donatus Ibe (1971). Poetic heritage: Igbo traditional verse. Nwankwo-Ifejika.
- Innes, C.L.; Collier, Gordon (2013-11-26). "Africans and Ireland". In Lindfors, Bernth; Davis, Geoffrey V. (eds.). African Literatures and Beyond: A Florilegium. Rodopi. ISBN 978-94-012-0989-2.
- Uzodinma, Emmanuel (2013-04-27). "Institute to launch dictionary of Igbo proverbs". Daily Post Nigeria. Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- Odu, Ikechukwu (2020-02-14). "UNN would continue to honour academic excellence, hardwork — VC". Vanguard News. Retrieved 2020-06-11.