1939 Spotlight photo
|Born||Donald Yarrow Eccles
26 April 1908
Nafferton, Yorkshire, England
|Died||2 February 1986
Haywards Heath, Sussex, England
Donald Yarrow Eccles was born in Nafferton, Yorkshire on 26 April 1908 the son of Charles Henry and Constance Eccles, his father was a doctor. Eccles was educated at Highgate School and then worked in an insurance office.
He made his stage debut in New York City in 1930, and later became known as a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company. His debut in London was in Counsellor at Law in 1934 at the Picadilly. During the Second World War he spent six years in the navy.
In 1960 he acted in the film A Taste of Money and later appeared in many other films including A Midsummer Night's Dream (1968), The Wicker Man (1973), The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1982), Coming Out of the Ice (1982), The Dresser (1983), The Master of Ballantrae (1984), A Private Function (1984) and Young Sherlock Holmes (1985). He also appeared in many television roles, such as Pollio in I, Claudius and Mr Justice Vosper in the second series of Rumpole of the Bailey, until his death in a road accident in Brighton.
- A Taste of Money (1961) - Joe
- Backfire (1962) - Hargreaves
- A Midsummer Night's Dream (1968) - Starveling
- The Wicker Man (1973) - T.H. Lennox
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1982, TV Movie) - Judge
- Coming Out of the Ice (1982, TV Movie) - Nesterov
- The Dresser (1983) - Mr. Godstone
- The Master of Ballantrae (1984, TV Movie) - John Paul
- A Private Function (1984) - Father
- Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) - The Reverend Duncan Nesbitt
- "Donald Eccles - Biography, Movie Highlights and Photos - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "Mr Donald Eccles." Times [London, England] 5 Feb. 1986: 14. The Times Digital Archive. Web. 30 Mar. 2012.
- "Donald Eccles".