Donald Douglas (Scottish actor)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He was educated at Falkirk High School, Edinburgh College of Art and RADA. His first professional stage appearance was at the Citizens Theatre, Glasgow. He then appeared in repertory theatres in England and on the West End stage.
On television, he played Tsar Alexander I in the 1972 BBC television adaptation of War and Peace, alongside Anthony Hopkins. He starred in the original TV series of Poldark in 1975/6 as Malcolm McNeil, the army captain who frequently allowed his fondness for Demelza Poldark to obstruct his quest to arrest her husband. He is also remembered by cult TV fans for roles in Doctor Who, Blake's 7, and The Avengers. His TV career continued into the 1990s, playing Franklin Clarke in the 1992 Agatha Christie's Poirot movie The ABC Murders. He has also played Dr. Gordon McKendrick on several episodes of Monarch of the Glen, and has appeared in episodes of EastEnders, Kavanagh QC and Casualty.
Film and television creditsEdit
Film credits include:
- Tunes of Glory (1960) - Minor Role (uncredited)
- A Bridge Too Far (1977) - Brig. Gen. Gerald Lathbury
- Peter and Paul (1981) - Burrus
- Give My Regards To Broad Street (1984) - Police Detective
- Creatures of Light (1992) - Minister
- Photographing Fairies (1997) - Judge
- What Rats Won't Do (1998) - Diner on Boat
- Highlander: Endgame (2000) - Father Rainy
- Greenfingers (2000) - Nigel aka Jailbuds
- Bridget Jones's Diary (2001) - Admiral Darcy
- From Hell (2001) - Hospital Director
- Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (2004) - Admiral Darcy
- En fiende att dö för (2012) - British Admiral (final film role)
Television credits include:
- The Avengers, The Morning After (1969) - Major Parsons
- War and Peace (1972) - Tsar Alexander I
- Doctor Who, The Sontaran Experiment (1975) Vural
- Five Red Herrings aka Lord Peter Wimsey: Five Red Herrings (1975) - Hugh Farren
- Poldark (1975) - Captain Malcolm MacNeil
- The Professionals (1977) - Eric Sutton
- Blake's 7, Rumours of Death (1980) - Major Grenlee
- Take the High Road. (1980) - Peter Cunningham
- Sense and Sensibility (1981) - Sir John Middleton
- Goldeneye (1989) - Lord Kemsley
- Agatha Christie's Poirot - The ABC Murders (1992) - Franklin Clarke
- Diana: Her True Story (1993) - Prince Philip
- Alleyn Mysteries, Scales of Justice (1994) - Sir George Alleyn
- EastEnders (3 episodes, 1995) - Hugh Aitken
- Kavanagh QC (2 episodes, 1996–1999) - Mr. Justice Halliwell
- Goodnight Sweetheart, California Dreamin' (1999) - Angus
- Sweet Revenge (2001) - Patrick's father
- A Is for Acid (2002) - William McSwan
- Casualty, Flash in the Pan (2003) - Teddy
- Monarch of the Glen (3 episodes, 2004–2005) - Dr. Gordon McKendrick
- Fabrique. "Donald Douglas — RADA". www.rada.ac.uk.
- "Donald Douglas - Theatricalia". theatricalia.com.
- "Donald Douglas". BFI.
- "War and Peace (1972) - John Davies - Cast and Crew". AllMovie.
- "Poldark Part 9 (1975)". BFI.
- "Donald Douglas - Movies and Filmography". AllMovie.
- "The Avengers Forever: The Morning After". theavengers.tv.
- "The Abc Murders (1992)". BFI.
- "Donald Douglas". www.aveleyman.com.