Don Manning (politician)
Donald E. Manning II (May 28, 1967 – March 20, 2020) was an American politician who served as a member of the Ohio House of Representatives, representing the 59th district from 2019 to 2020.
|Member of the|
Ohio House of Representatives
from the 59th district
January 6, 2019 – March 20, 2020
|Preceded by||John Boccieri|
|Born||May 28, 1967|
Sherman, Texas, U.S.
|Died||March 20, 2020 (aged 52)|
|Branch/service||United States Navy|
A Republican, Manning's district included suburban Youngstown as well as rural Mahoning County. Manning previously served in the United States Navy aboard the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal. He had also worked in the criminal justice system and served on the New Middletown Village council, and was active with youth service.
Manning previously ran in 2016, losing to incumbent John Boccieri. In 2018, Boccieri ran for the Ohio Senate, and Manning ran for his vacant seat in the House of Representatives. Manning defeated Democrat Eric Ungaro, 50.35% to 49.65%.
As a candidate, Manning was interviewed by Ohio Advocates for Medical Freedom, expressing his strong support of their views that vaccinations should not be mandated by any government entity, saying that "any time we have an opportunity to keep the Government out of our lives, I'm on board." Manning received the group's Verified Candidate designation for his views.
Two months after taking office as State Representative, Manning introduced legislation (House Bill 132) that would require school officials to provide the legal exemptions as well as the state-mandated vaccination requirements.
- "Manning takes victory for state rep. of Ohio's 59th District in slim margin". WKBN.com. 2018-11-07. Retrieved 2019-08-06.
- "Ohio Rep. Don Manning of the Mahoning Valley dies". cleveland.com. March 21, 2020.
- November 9, Vindicator Editorial; at 12:00a.m, 2018. "Put the 'redding' of Valley to good use in Legislature". vindy.com. Retrieved 2019-08-06.
- "Our Campaigns - OH State House 59 Race - Nov 06, 2018". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved 2019-08-06.
- "Interview with Don Manning, Ohio House District 59 OAMF Verified Candidate".
- "Ohio schools would inform parents of exemptions to mandatory vaccines and promote informed consent". cleveland.com.
- "Donald E. Manning II, New Middletown, Ohio". Becker Funeral Homes. March 20, 2020.
- "Ohio State Representative Don Manning dies at 54". WEWS. 2020-03-21. Retrieved 2020-03-21.
- "Representative Don Manning (R) - Biography | The Ohio House of Representatives". www.ohiohouse.gov. Retrieved 2020-03-21.