Dolly Martin (born Dolly Read on 13 September 1944 in Bristol, England) is an English pinup model and actress. She is best remembered for her appearance in Playboy magazine and as the lead character in Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. She sometimes is credited as Margaret Read, Dolly Read Martin or Dolly Martin.
|Playboy centerfold appearance|
|Preceded by||Karla Conway|
|Succeeded by||Kelly Burke|
|Born||13 September 1944|
Read's first onscreen appearance was in the 1963 film The Kiss of the Vampire, followed by a role in the British TV series Dixon of Dock Green later that year. In May 1966, she was Playboy magazine's Playmate of the Month. She posed for the magazine again in 1970. She also worked as a Playboy Bunny at the Playboy Clubs in Chicago, London and New York City.
After appearing in the low-budget erotic film That Tender Touch in 1969, she landed the lead role of the sexy but naive rock-and-roll singer Kelly MacNamara in Russ Meyer's comedy Beyond the Valley of the Dolls the following year.
In 2006, Read, along with other cast members, provided commentary and was interviewed for the release of a special edition DVD of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
In 1971, Read married American comedian Dick Martin. They divorced in 1974 and were remarried in 1978. She was a stepmother to his two sons, Richard Martin and actor Cary Martin. Dick Martin died on 24 May 2008.
- The Kiss of the Vampire (uncredited, 1963)
- That Tender Touch (1969)
- Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970)
- "Playmate listing". Retrieved 30 January 2009.
- IMDb credits for Dolly Read
- Harpmagazine.com: Russ Meyer - Pussycat Power[permanent dead link]
- Henderson, Eric (2006). "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls DVD Review". Slant Magazine. Archived from the original on 2007-12-26. Retrieved 2007-11-05.
- Deseret News, 14 June 1974, p. A2
- "'Laugh-In' comic Dick Martin dead at 86" Archived 2008-09-16 at the Wayback Machine, Associated Press via CNN, 25 May 2008