Discovery Children's Museum
The DISCOVERY Children's Museum (LDCM) is a 58,000-square-foot (5,400 m2) facility located in Las Vegas, Nevada. Formerly known as Lied Discovery Children museum, this three-story children’s museum is located adjacent to The Smith Center in Downtown Las Vegas. "The mission of DISCOVERY Children’s Museum is to provide a vibrant and engaging experience, through exhibits and programs, where children from economically and culturally diverse backgrounds participate in playful learning experiences that ignite a love of lifelong learning."
The DISCOVERY Museum & The Smith Center for the Performing Arts
|Location||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Public transit access||Yes|
DISCOVERY Children’s Museum was formerly Lied Discovery Children’s Museum, which was founded by Robin Greenspun and Mark Tratos, who arranged a partnership between the Junior League of Las Vegas and the Allied Arts Council founding a nonprofit educational institution in 1984. In 1985, a bond issued to authorize the building of the Las Vegas-Clark County Library and Lied Discovery Children’s Museum, which opened its doors on September 9, 1990.
In 2010 the museum announced plans to construct and occupy a new home and larger home in Symphony Park. The total for the Donald W. Reynolds Discovery Center project was $50 million. In August 2010, the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation announced a gift to The Smith Center to pay for the completion of its block in Symphony Park. $43 million of that gift was used to build the Donald W. Reynolds Discovery Center. The museum raised the remaining $7 million needed to complete the project. The new museum opened on March 9, 2013.
- "Discover Gr8 Museums: DISCOVERY Children's Museum". 11 September 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Discovery Children's Museum". Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Discovery Children's Museum History, Discovery Children's Museum, retrieved 10 March 2015
- Dostal, Erin (August 11, 2010). "Children's museum plans for Smith Center expansion". Las Vegas Sun.
- Symphony Park, archived from the original on 9 March 2015, retrieved 10 March 2015 Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Taylor, Diane (March 13, 2013). "The Smith Center - A Year in the Arts: Children's museum offers illumination". Las Vegas Review Journal. Retrieved 10 March 2015.