Dirk Alan Shafer (November 7, 1962 – March 5, 2015) was an American model, actor, screenwriter and director. Born in Carbondale, Illinois, he was most noted in the modeling world for having been Playgirl magazine's 1992 "Man of the Year". Shafer related that he did Playgirl for "validation" as a model because he never believed himself to be attractive. Shafer wrote, directed and starred in Man of the Year, a 1995 mockumentary about his time as a semi-closeted gay man in the role of a heterosexual sex symbol. Shafer's next directorial project was Circuit, a fictional look at the world of gay male circuit parties.
|Born||November 7, 1962|
Carbondale, Illinois, U.S.
|Died||March 5, 2015 (aged 52)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Known for||Playgirl 1992 Man of the Year|
|Height||5' 10½" (1.79 m)|
Shafer was found dead in a vehicle near his home in West Hollywood, California on March 5, 2015. Initial reports indicated he might have suffered a heart attack. Following an autopsy, however, the Los Angeles County Coroner's office determined Shafer's death was the result of "methamphetamine and cocaine toxicity", with hypertensive cardiovascular disease possibly being a contributing factor.
Shafer was buried at Hollywood Forever Cemetery.
- Stack, Liam (9 March 2015). "Dirk Shafer, Playgirl Centerfold Who Revealed He Was Gay, Dies at 52". New York Times. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Kramer, p. 30
- Hensley, Dennis (2002-04-30), "Circuit king", The Advocate, retrieved 2007-09-06
- "25 Great Things About Gay L.A", Frontiers volume 26 issue 4, archived from the original on 2008-03-31, retrieved 2008-05-12
- Former Gay Playgirl Man of the Year Dirk Shaffer Returns 20 Years later and he is hotter than ever...
- ‘Man Of The Year’s Dirk Shafer Found Dead
- Cocaine, meth blamed in ex-centerfold's death in West Hollywood
- Death of WeHo’s Dirk Shafer is Attributed to Meth and Cocaine