Hon'ble Chief Justice
|Chief Justice of Bombay High Court|
|Assumed office |
28 April 2020
|Nominated by||Sharad Arvind Bobde|
|Appointed by||Ram Nath Kovind|
|Preceded by||B. P. Dharmadhikari|
|Judge of Calcutta High Court|
22 June 2006 – 27 April 2020
|Nominated by||Yogesh Kumar Sabharwal|
|Appointed by||A. P. J. Abdul Kalam|
|Born||9 February 1965|
|Alma mater||Hazra Law College|
Early life and educationEdit
Datta was born in 1965 in a Bengali family. He came from a family with legal background. His father late Salil Kumar Datta, was a former Judge of the Calcutta High Court. His brother in law Justice Amitava Roy, is a former Judge of the Supreme Court of India. Datta acquired his LL.B. degree from the Hazra Law College, University of Calcutta. He was in the First batch of 5 years Law course in the year 1989.
After completing his LL.B he was enrolled as an Advocate on 16 November 1989. He started practising at the High Court at Calcutta and worked as a state panel lawyer also. He also practised at the Supreme Court of India and other High Courts at other states in India. He has specialized in Constitutional matters and Civil cases. Datta was the Counsel for the Union of India since 1998. He had appeared on behalf of the School Education Department, University of Calcutta, West Bengal Board in Secondary Education and the West Bengal School Service Commission. He was the Junior Standing Counsel for the State of West Bengal from 16 May 2002 to 16 January 2004. Datta was a Guest Lecturer in the Hazra Law College from the year 1996 – 1997 to 1999 — 2000. He was elevated to the Bench of the High Court at Calcutta as a permanent Judge on 22 June 2006.
- "Calcutta High Court biography". Archived from the original on 3 February 2013. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- সংবাদদাতা, নিজস্ব. "বিমান-ট্রেন বন্ধ, কাজে যোগ দিতে গাড়িতেই মুম্বই-শিলং পাড়ি বিচারপতিদের". anandabazar.com (in Bengali). Retrieved 24 April 2020.
- "Calcutta High Court - Judges". www.calcuttahighcourt.gov.in. Retrieved 13 August 2021.
- "President appoints Calcutta HC judge Dipankar Dutta as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court". The Indian Express. 23 April 2020. Retrieved 24 April 2020.
- Hon'ble Justices. "HON'BLE THE CHIEF JUSTICE". bombayhighcourt.nic.in. Retrieved 13 August 2021.