Dalwood attended Humphry Davy School in his early life. then from 1981 he attended Saint Martin's School of Art in London; he received his BA in 1985. He studied for his MA at the Royal College of Art, London, from 1988-1990. In 2012 he was appointed Professor of Art & Design at Bath Spa University.
He has shown work internationally in many important exhibitions including the 2002 Sydney Biennial, “Hollywood is a Verb” at Gagosian Gallery in New York, the 19th John Moore’s Painting Prize at the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool, “Die Young Stay Pretty” at the ICA London, “Remix” at Tate Liverpool , “New Neurotic Realism” at the Saatchi Gallery in London and Fighting History 2015 Tate Britain
Before becoming an artist he was a member of the punk rock band The Cortinas.
- "When history collapses Into the present". TATE. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "Weldon and Hensher head to Bath Spa". The Bookseller. Retrieved 9 November 2012.
- Tate Gallery St Ives - Page on future exhibitions Archived February 10, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- www.dexterdalwood.com - Artist website
- Dexter Dalwood –Saatchi Gallery
- Tate: Meet the Artist: Dexter Dalwood The artist talks about his exhibition at Tate St Ives. 1 April 2010
- La interrupción del discurso narrativo en Dexter Dalwood